Doubts around LinuxCNC

More
21 Jun 2017 04:40 - 21 Jun 2017 04:40 #94751 by imitheo
Hello, this is my first post here and also i never dealt with a linux system in my life. I am here because of a search for an alternative CNC controller software and while on my travels through the web i found LinuxCNC, so i have a few doubts that i may be posting in the wrong section of the forum or not. So let's go, they're simple:

1) I wish to implement on my CNC a USB communication interface, so there are any boards that communicate using the universal bus protocol and work with the software?

2) On the software, is there a way to program a custom routine? I would need for my custom ATC unit.

3) If the answer to the previous questions is yes, then, how it's done?

4) It's really open source, right ?

5) Anyone used MasterCAM to generate the g-code? Which post-processor i should use? Generic?

That's it for now, thanks in advance! :whistle:
Last edit: 21 Jun 2017 04:40 by imitheo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2017 10:51 - 21 Jun 2017 10:52 #94763 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Doubts around LinuxCNC
LinuxCNC does not work over the USB port due to the unknown latencies of the USB. You can however use the mother board Ethernet with motion cards like the 7i92H , 7i92M and a daughter card also a 7i76E will work with Ethernet.

JT
Last edit: 21 Jun 2017 10:52 by BigJohnT.

More
21 Jun 2017 13:02 - 21 Jun 2017 13:04 #94770 by Todd Zuercher

1) I wish to implement on my CNC a USB communication interface, so there are any boards that communicate using the universal bus protocol and work with the software?

No, Linuxcnc does not work with USB for real time tasks such as controlling an axis, but it can be used for userspace tasks.

2) On the software, is there a way to program a custom routine? I would need for my custom ATC unit.

Yes

3) If the answer to the previous questions is yes, then, how it's done?

Depending on exactly what you need, you may not need to actually do this. My understanding is the default routines work pretty well as is for most standard ATC arrangements (even random tool changers).
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ToolChange
But if you need to, with remapping you can do just about anything.
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/remap/remap.html

4) It's really open source, right ?

Yes, Seems too good to be true doesn't it. But it is for real and works good, if you take the time to learn how to use it. (I am using it on 5 machines in a factory setting.)

5) Anyone used MasterCAM to generate the g-code? Which post-processor i should use? Generic?

I don't use Mastercam. If they have one for EMC, EMC2 or Linuxcnc those would probably be preferred. If not, a generic Fanuc type or Mach3 will often work without much tweaking.
Last edit: 21 Jun 2017 13:04 by Todd Zuercher.

Time to create page: 0.243 seconds