Creating G-Code

More
23 Jun 2017 10:03 #94825 by Huttojbhutt
Creating G-Code was created by Huttojbhutt
Hey All.

I have been using my hobby CNC 2040T for a few months now and getting really good results on creating PCB boards.

I use Fritzing to create the gerber files, then FlatCam to create the G-Code and finally AutoLevel to ensure the dept is correct, This process seems to work - alittle long but getting good results to produce my own PCBs.

Now I'm looking alittle further to create writing and drawing engraving - When I use FlatCam on writing, it seems to follow the outline on the lettering and it ends up a blob.... Is there a simple but good (FREE) application I can use to engrave drawing and writing. How will I create them?

Jason

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2017 10:58 #94829 by grump
Replied by grump on topic Creating G-Code
Look here. www.scorchworks.com I use all his tools without issue on my 3020T.
The fonts you're using is more the issue you're having with lettering.
Either centre trace the digits or use single line fonts Ie stickfont, cncfont etc.

More
24 Jun 2017 00:54 #94871 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Creating G-Code

When I use FlatCam on writing, it seems to follow the outline on the lettering and it ends up a blob.... Is there a simple but good (FREE) application I can use to engrave drawing and writing. How will I create them?

This is possibly more about the fonts than the CAM package. You might need "stick" fonts.

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Simple...t_Engraving_Software

Might work for you, and you might already find that dxf2gcode is installed on your system.

(try opening a dxf file in LinuxCNC, see if it actually opens it)

More
25 Jun 2017 11:21 #94917 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Creating G-Code
I might not have meant dxf2gcode. (though that is probably a useful tool)

I think I was thinking of "true-type tracer"
www.timeguy.com/cradek/truetype

f-engrave is probably worth a look too:
www.scorchworks.com/Fengrave/fengrave.html

More
05 Jul 2017 09:54 #95381 by sm2345110
Replied by sm2345110 on topic Creating G-Code
Creating the G code in www.cetpainfotech.com/technology/CNC-trainingCNC . follows this steps:-

3D Printing Generators:-
SkeinForge
SkeinForge is an awesome little script that will generate very nice GCode. It's free, it's Python, and it's awesome.

RepRap Host Software
The RepRap host software is now capable of outputting GCode. Its a bit tricky to use, but it does work.

SuperSkein
SuperSkein is a free and open-source Processing program for creating gcode from STLs based around simplicity and hackability. It's also very fast and not prone to slicing errors like Skeinforge.

Slic3r
A fast, multiplatform, multithreaded, easy to configure, free and open source G-code generator supporting STL, AMF, dual extrusion, graphic and command line interfaces, support material, scaling, rotating and much more. Actively maintained and supported in the IRC #slic3r channel on FreeNode.

Milling Generators:-

FlatCAM
Powerful, free, open-source 2D CAM specialized in making PCBs on CNC routers. It's fully featured, including powerful visualization of Gerber, Excellon, and G-Code, tools to create isolation routing, double-sided PCBs, toolpaths for clearing large copper areas, board cutout, etc. Runs on Windows, Linux and OS-X.

FlatCAM8.PNG
cad.py
cad.py is a bitmap driven successor to cam.py from MIT. It imports 2D or 3D images of objects and then generates code for a variety of different machines. cad.py is slow but robust.
See this page for a nice tutorial to get you started.
Quick hints: Load your .png file, click CAM, and then click the output format button and choose G-Code.

cam.py
cam.py is a free Python script that creates G-Code from *.svg, *.dxf, *.cmp,*.sol,*.plc,*.sts,*.stc,*.gtl (Gerber) and *.jpg files. Its from the MIT FabLab folks and is pretty nice.

cl-mill
CL-MILL is a CNC milling application generating G-Code, built in Common Lisp. Supports panelizing, and can import from PNG or bmp via potrace. Excellent if you have a Lispish background.

More
10 May 2019 11:26 #133341 by aptroninnoida
Replied by aptroninnoida on topic Creating G-Code
It is very simple. Here are many sites for g codes information but I have made elaborated videos to learn G codes in CNC machine, you can see at it is showing all g codes meaning. Follow: CNC Programming Training

Time to create page: 0.234 seconds