Wear compensation for milling

More
23 Jun 2017 14:14 #94841 by S0lidw0rks
I'm new to linux I have limited Haas and Fanuc experience. Can some one show me an example of linux tool wear programming. It seems to require code i am not familiar with. I have tried to piece it together from other suggestions but with no success.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2017 01:00 #94872 by andypugh
There are a few ways to do this.

For example HSMWorks for inventor offers 3 options:

1) In the CAM. all paths are based on the CAM package opinion of the tool diameter. The CAM is tool-centre code.
2) In the controller, the CAM sends material outline paths and G42 commands, LinuxCNC offsets the path by the tool diameter from the tool table.
3) Both. The CAM sends material profiles _and_ G42 commands, and the tool-table diameters in the LinuxCNC tool table are added as wear corrections.

2a) No CAM package knows this, but G43.1 can be used to tweak a nominal tool diameter.

More
26 Jun 2017 13:29 #94989 by S0lidw0rks
I have read about the G42 variations and other unique code for Linux but have struggled to get it to run properly. Do you have an example of machine code with G42 and associated lines of code so I can have a starting point. I only need to see it once.

More
27 Jun 2017 12:21 #95034 by andypugh

I have read about the G42 variations and other unique code for Linux but have struggled to get it to run properly. Do you have an example of machine code with G42 and associated lines of code so I can have a starting point. I only need to see it once.

I don't think that G40, G41, G42 is specific to Linux, it is one of the more standard G-codes.

Have you seen the code examples here: linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/gcode/tool-co...:cutter-compensation ?

More
27 Jun 2017 13:33 #95047 by Todd Zuercher
The limitations and usage of G41/G42 are very similar to how they are used on Fanuc controlled machines. The only difference I can think of is you don't have to specify a D address in Linuxcnc. Linuxcnc automatically assumes D=tool# if its not specified. Fanuc requires a D number.
What don't you understand?
What is giving you problems?
Probably the most important thing to remember is that you have to have a lead in move (ramp in) long enough and with enough clearance to accommodate the diameter of the offset that you are going to use.

More
27 Jun 2017 19:46 #95070 by cmorley
I think he is asking about _wear_ compensation not tool length compensation.
For lathes this requires remapping the t code.

I bet the same is required for millis.

Chris M

More
27 Jun 2017 20:53 #95072 by andypugh

I think he is asking about _wear_ compensation not tool length compensation.
For lathes this requires remapping the t code.

Not necessarily.

If you want to maintain separate wear and diameter numbers in the tool-table, then yes.

But if you just want to edit the diameter in the tool table, then that does not require any remapping.

Also, some CAM systems (including Fusion/InventorCAM) program the path for a nominal tool diameter, but add the G41/G42 codes to allow you to put _just_ a wear offset in the tool table.

More
28 Jun 2017 05:12 #95092 by cmorley
Thats an interesting way to do it Andy.
My small experience was with lathes.
I guess we will find out what he wanted when he answers :)

Chris M

More
29 Jun 2017 13:07 #95171 by S0lidw0rks
@ andypugh

You are correct that G40, G41, G42 are not specific to linux.

The link you included to examples of G41, G42 may be helpful. I will try and work this out over the weekend. I think my troubles are in the tool table and referencing it correctly.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds