Soft limits ignored during a gcode move - normal?

More
11 Aug 2017 08:30 #97328 by robottom
Hi,
I'm running my Puma robot with linuxcnc (all 6 axis in and all 6 coordinates XYZABC). The machine is homed correctly. If I do a move with G1 ... that is going outside of the soft limits the machine is moving without stop. When it reaches the soft limits there are error messages in AXIS displayed but the move is not stopped. As intended after the move comes to an end the only way to move the robot is in the joint mode no longer in the world mode. The issue is that the move not immediately stops when it reaches the soft limits. If I jog the ABC in the world mode (or joint 4-6 in joint mode) it stops when the soft limits are reached but not when a do a gcode move e.g. G1 B120 F500
I already damaged one motor. How can I force the machine to immediately stop when the soft limit error occurs instead of finishing the current move?

Many thanks again for your help,
Thomas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2017 19:02 #97349 by robottom
I did some further tests on my machine which contains a 2.7.8. version of linuxcnc and a compiled new 2.8.0.
On the 2.7.8. version with the old config that only consists of axis=joints with only only soft limits on joints it works fine. The G1 move is interrupted as soon as the joint soft limits are reached.
This was tested on the standard demo config of sim.axis.vismach.puma560.
When I take the same config and start it under 2.8.0 (rip-environment) the config will be converted into the new format with separate axis and joint values. Here I changed (and later on also deleted) the axis B limit settings but leave the Joint 4 limit to 100 degree (as for the 2.7.8).
When I test a G1 move that runs into the joint limit it brings up the error (as for the 2.7.8) but without stopping the move immediately but proceeded it till the end with the consequence that the joint 4 limit was far exceeded (and would damage the machine).
This is either a bug on the 2.8.0 or there is a new setting on 2.8.0 I'm not aware of where I can influence the behavior to stop immediately or not. Not sure if such a setting would anyhow make sense. Also the axis limits do not make a lot of sense for me since the physical limits are on joints not on axis (especially if you don't use a non-trivkins).
Does anybody have more experience on this?

Many thanks,
Thomas

More
11 Aug 2017 23:07 - 11 Aug 2017 23:14 #97352 by dgarrett
In 2.8~pre, there are both axis and joint limits--read the ini docs

There are surely bugs as well because not many users of non-identity kins machines reporting yet

Ref:
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/config/ini-config.html

linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/getting-sta...dating-linuxcnc.html
Last edit: 11 Aug 2017 23:14 by dgarrett. Reason: Links

More
12 Aug 2017 09:31 #97358 by robottom
Yes I'm aware of the documentation and it both says for axis and for joints section: When this limit is reached, the controller aborts axis motion.
What is true for the axis but no longer for the joints (but axis and joints are totally different for non-trivkins). Joints would be more important to stop immediatly to prevent machine damages.
I guess there is a place to report back on errors for a certain versions of linuxcnc?

Many thanks,
Thomas

More
12 Aug 2017 10:33 #97360 by robottom
... now I converted back my configuration (.ini and .hal files) to the 2.7.8 version and it works fine (move aborts when soft limits are exceeded).
But the old 2.7.8. has the downside that jog mode is still enables even you are outside of soft limits.
I remember getting also error message with a text like "Your move would exceed the limits" and thus not executed. This would be the behavior I would like most - not starting moves at all that would exceed the limits.
Does one of you remember how to enable this?

Thanks, Thomas

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds