x2 minimill homing TROUBLE

More
20 Sep 2017 02:52 #99147 by ogtommy
Hi everybody,
I have been at this for 2 days now. I came close to thinking i solved this problem but low and behold it's probably not...so here goes...
I have a sieg x2 minimill. I used mach3 software with cncfusion hardware (and longsmotors 425oz-in with cheap paport bob) to set it up all together.
Started with Mach3. took a day or so but it was setup and working asap. It didn't home right, so i played with settings til it worked. It worked good...
Low, and behold I hate windows and am a longtime Linux lover so I couldn't resist LinuxCNC.
I imported my Mach3 setup, didn't work completely (homed backwards on x, rightway on y, def wrong on z). I switched driver/motor wires to make all movements as if it was proper. Now all my axis move to the right quadrant as I was taught.
I set up my limit switches/home switches and all hell broke loose....
all my switctches are set to normally closed for failsafe conditions.
So, I have x+ & x- &x home on input pin 15
i have y+ & y- & y home on input pin 11
i have z- & z home on input pin 12

I managed to setup x and y so that even if i hit the limit switch I can backoff. But no matter what i do z will not work right. If I home all my axis, z will always end up saying z limit switch hit or it will not be able to backoff from z axis.

what Im trying to figure out is a populare setting and stick to it. I want z 0 at the top of the column and page down brings me towards the table. I've had it set this way by manipulating my .ini file and adding - sign infront of several vel settings (home,latch) but once I set an offset to 0 my z home setting it will say that it's exceeded it's min setting. I tried inversing the different vel settings, the different home and offset settings and setting my min/max table limit to +/-
Its driving me nutz,.,... its been 2 days and im ready to switch back to mach3.....
i hate quiting if i havent figured out the answered so I'm stuck. I got to keep at this til i figure it out.Please help me.
I will upload my ini and hal file tomorrow when I get back to my shop but if anybody can start me off in the right direction i'd appreciate it. I did read the homing setup and alot more. I think ive been bombarded with so many variables i'm swimming in migraine..
please help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2017 14:13 #99163 by Todd Zuercher
If you post your ini and hal files we could check them for obvious errors.

The section of your ini file for your Z axis should look something like this
[AXIS_2]
TYPE = LINEAR
HOME = 0.0
MAX_VELOCITY = 1.5
MAX_ACCELERATION = 25.0
STEPGEN_MAXACCEL = 31.25
SCALE =2000
FERROR = 0.05
MIN_FERROR = 0.01
MIN_LIMIT = -6.0
MAX_LIMIT = 0.01
HOME_OFFSET = 0.100000
HOME_SEARCH_VEL = 0.50000
HOME_LATCH_VEL = 0.050000
HOME_IGNORE_LIMITS = YES
HOME_SEQUENCE = 0

The really important part is the line with HOME_IGNORE_LIMITS = YES.
Do you have that for all of your axis?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ogtommy

More
20 Sep 2017 19:48 #99173 by ogtommy
Replied by ogtommy on topic x2 minimill homing TROUBLE
ok, so im at my workshop. Im going to upload my ini and my hal
im also going to try your z motor setup as far as where 0 is, where min limit switch is and the vel for homing directions. ill report on those shortly.
Attachments:

More
20 Sep 2017 20:03 #99175 by ogtommy
so i started linuxcnc . yesterday and the day before's frustration hit me hard so i decided to start over. delete my settings and create a new one and document it. maybe someone can pick out my error/settings needing adjustment starting with motor direction etc. etc

im still keeping my old ini/hal files so if anyone can still help me troubleshoot my previous problems id be very grateful

thanks again Todd

More
20 Sep 2017 20:15 #99177 by ogtommy
well, so far i used your z axis code with a brand new stepconf wizard setup and z works perfectly. it goes right up to z and stops before limit switch. maybe that extra 0.1 offset was the trick? too happy to jinx it all now but here's hoping that my nightmare is over!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S

More
20 Sep 2017 20:25 #99178 by Todd Zuercher
I think is see several errors in your ini file's Z section. Does your machine really only have 0.02 inches of Z travel?
I will make some comments about your settings and suggested corrections.
[AXIS_2]
TYPE = LINEAR
HOME = -0.1 The is the value given to the point where the Z stops after homing is complete, suggest using 0
MAX_VELOCITY = 0.8
MAX_ACCELERATION = 7.0
STEPGEN_MAXACCEL = 8.75
SCALE = 4000.0
FERROR = 0.05
MIN_FERROR = 0.01
MIN_LIMIT = -0.11 This is the position of the minimum soft limit. (How down Z can go.) Suggest, if your machine has 4 inches of travel set to -3.5.
MAX_LIMIT = -0.09 This is the max soft limit position, (how far up Z can go. Set this to zero.
HOME_OFFSET = 0.000000 This sets how far from your home switch the home position is, for a combo home/limit switch this needs to be something more than zero suggest 0.1
HOME_SEARCH_VEL = 0.050000
HOME_LATCH_VEL = 0.050000
HOME_IGNORE_LIMITS = YES
HOME_SEQUENCE = 0

More
20 Sep 2017 21:37 #99184 by ogtommy
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!
it turns out those little offsets and setting your min to -0.01 or some manipulation of that allowed me to home my machine and have working softlimts. it will never actuate the hard limits. and if it does by weird fluke/chance i can hit the override button an move off them whereas befor i couldn't

thank you

More
21 Sep 2017 17:39 - 21 Sep 2017 17:51 #99216 by ogtommy
thank you Todd!!
I actually copied your code completely when i got to my shop and tested out z.I never read your 2nd post until this morning or else it would of saved me hours of trial and error but slowly i adjusted certain values you used figuring out each one at a time and got it working. Then I recopied your z axis for x adjusting it slowly and then finally y. I am so happy to have a working linuxcnc minimill.
I read your post today and I want to thank you. It really helped me in understanding the way linuxcnc interprets the values. The one thing i wish i had read or paid attention to was that if home & limit share a switch HOME_OFFSET should be set to something a little higher than 0. That right there is what caused me so much grief.
Now i just got to figure out how to use my xbox joystick on LinuxCnc. I guess the fun never stop!!
THanks again,
Tommy
Last edit: 21 Sep 2017 17:51 by ogtommy.

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds