how can i use my linuxcnc router manually?

More
22 Sep 2017 15:03 #99268 by jlroch
i thank you for your patience and generosity of your time. i am now able to accomplish exactly what i wanted to do.
should you ever need any advice or help in MY area of expertise (woodworking and antique/contemporary furniture refurbishing, feel quite free to ask.

jacques

p.s. it's SOOO nice to receive advice in a non condescending manner. other users on other sites might learn from you...

jacques

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2017 15:19 #99269 by Todd Zuercher
Not a problem. I was once a noob to, we all were.
I am a wood worker as well. I work in a factory where we build signs and decorative artwork. I maintain and program all of are cnc machines.
Here is a photo of one of the last large custom signs I did.
Attachments:

More
22 Sep 2017 15:54 #99274 by jlroch
beautious!!!!!!

jacques

p.s. see some of my work at www.atelierdebois.com (button in upper right hand for english site).

jacques

More
22 Sep 2017 16:17 #99278 by Todd Zuercher
Very nice work.
Your page shows a before and after of a piece with pealing veneer.
How do you repair that? Do you completely remove the old veneer and re-apply it, or only the parts that are pealing, or replace with new?

More
22 Sep 2017 16:35 #99280 by jlroch
both. depends on the damage and what the client wants (in terms of retaining as much of the original material as possible). if replacing "patches", the trick is to find veneer that has as much as possible the same grain, then bleaching it to lose the wood color, gluing in the patch(has to be oversize), then using a combination of card scraping and sanding to "feather" the new wood into the old. after that a stain colormatch, then a thin coat of dewaxed shellac to seal all. finally, to lose the thin black glue lines between the patch and the existing veneer, mix some acrylic paints on a small piece of glass while it is laying on the surface of the veneer near the patch. this allows for a good color match without actually painting the surface. once color is good, "dry brush" the acrylic following the wood grain to break up and color over the glue line.
long process, excellent results....

jacques

More
22 Sep 2017 17:04 #99281 by Todd Zuercher
There are no short cuts if you want results like those. I bow to a master craftsman.

More
22 Sep 2017 17:15 #99283 by jlroch
hardly a master craftsman. but a REALLY good master of mistakes who after a while accumulates enough "note to self" that the task just works out correctly.

so i guess there is truth to the adage "...give a monkey infinite time on a typewriter and the perfect novel will be written..." (Infinite monkey theorem). :-)

jacques

More
03 Oct 2017 12:54 #99810 by andypugh
While we are in mutual appreciation mode, have you seen Dewey's stuff?
www.deweygarrett.com/

More
03 Oct 2017 14:39 - 03 Oct 2017 14:40 #99814 by jlroch
one day when i am all grown up.........

there are no words to describe my awe. but, my horizon has certainly been broadened. nice stuff monsieur garrett.

jacques

p.s. unless someone can give me better advice, i have decided today to subscribe to autodesk's "artcam" software for my cam software needs. the monthly subscription price versus the software abilities seems to be the best bet.
currently, i am using coreldraw for my cad requirements and of course linux cnc for the milling. for the cam, i have tried numerous offerings (via trial software). certainly vectric is nice, but cost prohibitive, with deskproto as runner up, but also cost prohibitive (in both cases a "commercial" license is required for reselling anything made with their software.
i realize that a simple answer is to just use the less expensive software illegally, but unfortunately this is not something that i do. after all , i wouldn't like it if someone just took my work and used it to make a profit.
so, am i making the right choice for cam software?

jacques
Last edit: 03 Oct 2017 14:40 by jlroch.

More
03 Oct 2017 15:20 #99817 by andypugh

p.s. unless someone can give me better advice, i have decided today to subscribe to autodesk's "artcam" software for my cam software needs. the monthly subscription price versus the software abilities seems to be the best bet.

You might want to look at Fusion360. That is free for hobby, education and "startup" use (and their definition of "startup" is quite generous, and you self-certify)
It has very good CAM, based on HSMWorks.

ArtCAM might be better for your application, I have not looked at it.

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds