Stepper tests ok in stepconf but growls when using

More
10 Nov 2020 14:04 #188876 by shortcircuit48
I think I am missing something obvious but cant see it.
I have set up my X axis using config and can test the axis movement which works smoothly although will need calibration, I move on and save the file. When I open up machine controller to test again and jog X the stepper now moves very slowly and growls.
Any help much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2020 14:05 #188877 by andypugh
Is the drive enable pin wired? Possibly that is connected to the wrong output.

More
10 Nov 2020 14:36 #188881 by shortcircuit48
Thanks for reply
I thought about that overnight but did nothing. I have now connected and it make no difference to which terminal. I am confused as to why it tests ok on stepconf but not when running

More
10 Nov 2020 14:44 #188882 by andypugh
We have seen this before, and it is often the drive enable (as the stepconf test does not toggle the enable).

In general there is no point wiring the enable pin on stepper drives, by the way.

Does it growl only when jogging, or also on G0 and G1 moves?

More
10 Nov 2020 14:57 #188884 by shortcircuit48
Obviously related but in order to run a G0 move I had to home the machine which I was not able to do as limit switches not fitted. Have now disabled switches and that appears to have resolved problem.
Thanks for your help

More
10 Nov 2020 18:01 #188898 by andypugh
That suggests a miss-match between the joint settings and the matching axis settings.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shortcircuit48

More
10 Nov 2020 19:42 #188905 by shortcircuit48
Afraid this does not mean much to me. I assume you mean the stepper settings in stepconf should match the settings on the TB6600 driver?
I will stab about and try various and see what happens.
Thanks again.

More
10 Nov 2020 20:45 #188912 by tommylight

When I open up machine controller to test again and jog X the stepper now moves very slowly and growls.

That seems pretty much like normal behaviour, in stepconf you are testing the max speed while in LinuxCNC it is using the speed set by the "jog speed" button, so try to set the jog speed button to max and jog around, it should have the same sound as in stepconf.
Stepper motors do vibrate a lot, especially if the drive is set to full step mode and running at low speed they will be jumping all over the tabletop. Set the microstepping on the drives to /4 or /8 at least so the motion is much smoother.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shortcircuit48

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds