Change error message from joint 0 to joint X

More
10 Nov 2020 20:19 #188910 by prochj51
Hi,

I would like to rename messages like "joint 0 on limit switch error" to "joint X on limit switch error" etc.
It is not obvious to me from the where this message comes from or where I should change it.

Is it even easy to do?

Thanks
Jiri

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2020 20:53 #188914 by tommylight
I do not think it is easy on 2.8 or 2.9 version of LinuxCNC as it uses joint/axis separation, meaning a joint is a motor moving something while an axis is one or more joints doing the movement, mostly used in gantry machines that have two X or Y motors, one on each side of the gantry so that makes two joints that belong to the same axis and move together in most use cases but they are considered separate while homing the machine. That makes squaring the gantry very easy and can be done solely in software, also very usable if the gantry was moved while the machine was off or during use something bumped into it and raked the gantry that would result in deviated parts, more wear on rails and moving parts, etc.
With that said, it is LinuxCNC so almost everything is possible, but in this case i think that would imply editing the source code and compiling it.

More
11 Nov 2020 07:58 #188960 by rodw
As Tommy says, you would need to delve into the src/emc folder to change the message.
But on a machine with more than one motor on an axis, the joint message is much more informative. One you set your machine up properly, you should never see that message again!

More
11 Nov 2020 08:04 #188961 by cmorley
It would be a good but large code change to customize low level error messages.
As a GUI builder I want to control what/how the user sees messages.

Eg. i find it annoying to get a message about a joint and an axis when they are the same.

Chris

More
11 Nov 2020 08:55 #188968 by rodw
You may think they are the same but they aren't. A joint is a motor, not an axis. There can be 16 joints in Linuxcnc (I think) but only 9 axes.

With any software, life is much easier if you live within the system paradigm.
eg. Don't fight the Linuxcnc paradigm or you waste a lot of time and may never achieve what you want.
In fact you are fussing over detail that should never be seen if you have a correctly configured machine.
Limit switches should never be triggered in normal use.

More
11 Nov 2020 08:57 #188969 by cmorley
They are the same in a trivial kinematics machine.

As a GUI builder I must be aware cover all things - normal or not.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
11 Nov 2020 09:19 #188972 by prochj51
Thank you for discussion.

I wanted it to set it up for a friend who does not know it much. I thought it would be more selfexplanatory for him.
But it is not important that much.
I was curious.

Jiri

More
11 Nov 2020 09:29 #188973 by rodw

They are the same in a trivial kinematics machine.

As a GUI builder I must be aware cover all things - normal or not.

I think the docs need a bit more clarity. A trivial kinematics machine no longer demands a 1:1 mapping between joints and axes. A XYYZ gantry machine is still a trivial kinematics machine. If I have a fault on my gantry I need to know which side faulted.

See linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/motion/kinematics.html

Mind you, this has been in place ever since I started using Linuxcnc over 4 years ago.

We all have a different paradigm we use from the Linuxcnc monster so we all have different requirements. So don't start on a path without considering all paradigms. It might be a lot of work that does not get pulled into the source.

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds