Cant set Tool Zero

More
14 Nov 2020 13:33 - 14 Nov 2020 13:33 #189331 by Anonymous
Cant set Tool Zero was created by Anonymous
Hello
I recently got a small CNC Lathe and i cant find out how to zero different Tools.
I've tried with the Touch off button but i cant select TOOL TABLE i can only select the different coordinate systems.
Can anyone run my through a normal zeroing routine for multiple tools and tell me if im doing it wrong with the Touch off button?
Last edit: 14 Nov 2020 13:33 by Anonymous.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Nov 2020 13:15 #189659 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Cant set Tool Zero
Which touch-off button are you using?

There is one for the coordinate system and one for the tool.

Unless you are using a very old version of LinuxCNC.

More
18 Nov 2020 13:39 #189664 by Anonymous
Replied by Anonymous on topic Cant set Tool Zero
Ahh i think i get it now. Do i just put in a tool with Tx M6 with x being the tool nr. and then take test cuts and put the measured value into the tool touch off menu on the correct axis?
But how do i set the work offset is that done with M92 and do i ever have to change the x in M92 cause it should always be the same?

More
18 Nov 2020 13:51 #189668 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Cant set Tool Zero
This is what I do...

My Tool 1 is a right-handed WNMG that I use for turning and facing. This tool always has an offset of 0,0 in the tool table. (except when I mess up, press the wrong touch-off button, and have to re-set it back to zero with an M10)

Other tools have offsets relative to that tool.

Z gets re-set in the coordinate system very frequently, X almost never.

So, at the start of a job I will position T1 just inside the end of the stock, touch-off Z (coordinate system) to zero and run a facing macro.

Now T1 is at exactly Z = 0. And I can either turn to size (X _should_ be always correct) or change tools and make a test cut. If I make a test cut I might need to touch off the new _tool_ to a different X.
To set the Z of a tool other than T1 I will either use a dowel (make the gap smaller than the dowel, jog slowly away from the end of the stock until the dowel slips through, touch-off the _tool_ Z to the dowel diameter) or make a test cut. But test-cuts only work for Z if there is some other feature on the part to reference to. For example doing a partial facing op and measuring the step.

Once all the tools are set up you can use any of them to move the Z origin around and it will just work for all tools.

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds