Jog While Paused?

More
13 Jan 2021 09:13 #195198 by vmihalca
Jog While Paused? was created by vmihalca
I read this article that was written in 2014 wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Jog-While-Paused
and I was curious if in 2.8.0 or 2.8.1 I could get this feature to work.
It happened many times that my mill would get chip welded with aluminum, or I needed to inspect the inserts of a facemill.
It would be extremely helpful to be able to pause the program, jog the Z up, stop the spindle, do my inspection, then resume from where left off.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2021 12:14 - 13 Jan 2021 12:20 #195208 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic Jog While Paused?
Looks like there was some interest in bringing this into the project not too long ago: forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxcnc-q...sed-back-into-master

While it's not exactly jogging, PlasmaC does something similar. While paused, the user can click "change consumables" and the torch will head to a predetermined location for the user to swap out cutting consumables. PlasmaC does this by defining the specific location in the .ini file, and then sending the torch there using eoffset counts (my low level understanding anyways). When the consumables are changed, you press either change consumables again, or resume, and it returns to the paused location, and takes off again. Bob's your uncle.

It also allows "cut recovery" which allows the torch to be moved around during paused motion so that you can pierce in a known scrap piece of the cut material. From there it will head to the paused location, and continue the cut... saving the user scrapping an entire piece of material sometimes. At any rate, it proves that motion while paused is possible currently. Though it is not strictly "jogging" I don't see major reason why it couldn't be with some tweaking.

At any rate, there's a few ways to skin this particular cat. Just wanted to give you some existing options I knew about in the event the whole branch isnt ever brought to master.
Last edit: 13 Jan 2021 12:20 by snowgoer540.

More
13 Jan 2021 15:19 #195221 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Jog While Paused?
PlasmaC has jog while paused, at least the Master/2.9 as you can pause the machine at any time and move backwards or forwards AND adjust the speed of those moves.
Should also be in 2.8 but i never checked.
I am on the phone so i can not check, but if you have the time, download the official Debian Buster ISO, write it to a USB and boot the PC with it, then start the PlasmaC and check.

More
13 Jan 2021 15:27 - 13 Jan 2021 15:34 #195222 by dgarrett
Replied by dgarrett on topic Jog While Paused?

... pause the program, jog the Z up ...

For this (simple) use case, you can use external offsets as
demonstrated by an example sim config:
configs/sim/axis/external_offsets/jwp_z.ini

Refs:
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/2.8/co...al_offsets/jwp_z.txt
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/2.8/co...al_offsets/jwp_z.ini

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/motion/external-offsets.html

More general purpose uses are difficult to implement
comprehensively in the existing architecture as outlined
here:

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WhyManualWhilePausedIsHard
Last edit: 13 Jan 2021 15:34 by dgarrett.

More
13 Jan 2021 19:34 #195234 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Jog While Paused?
It's unfortunate that we had the working bases for it then let it bit rot :(

More
28 Jan 2021 07:53 #196903 by seebaer1976
Replied by seebaer1976 on topic Jog While Paused?

It's unfortunate that we had the working bases for it then let it bit rot :(

this is really missing in linuxcnc and would be very useful.
Replace with the cutter when it becomes blunt, clean with the cutter or when you want to measure something.

that sounds stupid now, but the small program estlcam can do everything that is described here

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds