parallel port cards

More
21 Jan 2021 15:53 #196097 by Dragonbitscnc
I've got a parport card (startek Chipset ID PLX/Oxford - OXPCIe952) i read the specks about the OS Linux 2.4.x / 2.6.x only. i'm running linux 2.8 so..won't work?
I can get a parallel port card (startek Chipset ID Oxford OXPCIe952) i read the specks about the OS Linux 2.4.x to 4.4.x LTS Versions only So this will work? ..... thank you in advance John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2021 16:47 #196101 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic parallel port cards
sudo lspci -v
in a terminal

More
22 Jan 2021 16:19 #196236 by Dragonbitscnc
Replied by Dragonbitscnc on topic parallel port cards
will this work with linuxCNC2.8
StarTech.com PEX1P 1 Port PCI Express Dual Profile Parallel Adapter Card - SPP/EPP/ECP - 2x DB25 IEEE 1284 PCIe Parallel Card

More
23 Jan 2021 00:49 #196301 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic parallel port cards

will this work with linuxCNC2.8
StarTech.com PEX1P 1 Port PCI Express Dual Profile Parallel Adapter Card - SPP/EPP/ECP - 2x DB25 IEEE 1284 PCIe Parallel Card

Unfortunately it is hard to say without more to go on than the name.

I googled the name and found a card that looked like it _might_ be one of the ones with a general purpose interface chip that becomes a serial or parallel port depending on what firmware is loaded at startup. Those _won't_ work with LinuxCNC.

But I am basing that only on _where_ the main chip is mounted on the card.

More
23 Jan 2021 15:12 #196337 by Dragonbitscnc
Replied by Dragonbitscnc on topic parallel port cards
I know this sound dumb . but I'mtrying to find my parallel port address with sudo lspci -v and I'm asked for my password.
to log in to my computer at start up I enter my user name & password, but my password does'nt work in the terminal to allow sudo comands
Is this something I have to setup?

More
23 Jan 2021 15:48 - 23 Jan 2021 15:53 #196339 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic parallel port cards
Doesn't work as in you type it and hit enter then nothing happens or you type it and don't see anything being entered on the terminal? When typing in a password in terminal it will not show or represent in anyway the characters you enter, will just look like it's not taking the key strokes. Just type the password you use to log in as long as that's the only account in linux It should have permission.
Last edit: 23 Jan 2021 15:53 by Michael.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dragonbitscnc

More
23 Jan 2021 16:57 #196345 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic parallel port cards
if your password is rejected (ie, there is a message saying that you are not allowed to use sudo) then you need to be addd to the "sudoers" group. Google will take you to pages that explain this a lot better than I can.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds