Just Starting in CNC hobby and looking for SBC advice

More
01 Feb 2021 14:27 #197308 by Craig E
Hello everyone,
I am just starting out in CNC and I am building my first machine. It is 700mm Y Axis with 2 NEMA 34 Steppers with encoders.
The X Axis is 1300mm and I have not decided on motor yet I am still thinking on Z Axis travel.
I want to run closed loop and will be Routing wood mainly but would like to be able to mill Aluminum and plastic.
Sorry for the long introduction.
My first question is on computer hardware. I need to buy all components I do not have any old hardware to use.
I am looking for a SBC like Raspberry PI or the like. I need WiFi to connect to the network from my house to my shop.
I want to use Ethernet Motion Controller. Can anyone recommend the Hardware to use?
Can I get away with and SBC or do I need something more powerful?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2021 16:17 #197312 by tommylight
Welcome,
Personally i did try to use the RPI a while back with so-so good results and just discarded the idea due to several reasons.
For nearly the same price a decent used PC can be bought and can do a lot more. There is also the issue of suffering the small SBC to use on a big machine. Also CAM works on old PC's but SBC's will choke on it, usually.

More
01 Feb 2021 17:13 #197318 by robertspark
I'd buy a cheap fanless pc (I have two) as they cut down on dust being dragged through the pc over time.

rpi4 requires cooling via fan as far as I know or it will thermal throttle

different point.
what do you see as the benefit of running closed loop?

lost steps are lost.... you cannot make them up.

set the drives up so they don't loose steps

More
01 Feb 2021 18:25 - 01 Feb 2021 18:26 #197324 by jbraun

I'd buy a cheap fanless pc (I have two) as they cut down on dust being dragged through the pc over time.

rpi4 requires cooling via fan as far as I know or it will thermal throttle

different point.
what do you see as the benefit of running closed loop?

lost steps are lost.... you cannot make them up.

set the drives up so they don't loose steps

I've run open loop for years with (mostly) no problems but having the machine fault when position is lost sounds like a nice feature. Thinking here of times the machine is running unattended. My machines are run conservatively but others may push the limits ?
Last edit: 01 Feb 2021 18:26 by jbraun.

More
01 Feb 2021 19:43 #197328 by Craig E
Thanks for the input and advice. I have been looking at the Mini PC,
is there a minimum RAM that I need to make sure is 4G enough or do I need more?
Also I have no idea of what I am doing just learning I thought that the stepper drivers would try to make up steeps and if it can't then I could use the alarm lines to stop the machine. but that is just what I read I have no experience.

More
01 Feb 2021 21:23 #197336 by tommylight
On PCW's advice, i got 3 of the HP 8300 SFF, quad core I5 with 8GB of RAM, they are very nice, 2 of them are driving machines for quite some time now without a single hiccup.
As a general rule, 2GB is the minimum for Debian and Mint XFCE, 4GB for both with Mate desktop environment, 8GB are plenty for comfortable work and machining.
And you are correct, the closed loop steppers with try to correct the position and output an error if they fail to do so. That can also be used to let LinuxCNC know of lost position and halt the machine.
Take it easy, a bit of reading and help from members here and you'll be making chips soon.

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds