New Project........questions on appropriate motors and drives.........

More
18 Feb 2021 15:53 #199278 by Roguish
Well, finally starting a new project.
Just acquired a PrecisionMatthews PM-940V to convert to Linuxcnc CNC.
Though I thought I had it all sorted out, I'm questioning my selection of motor/drives.
Was going to take a leap and use a trio of Chinese AC servos, probably Lichuan brand, maybe Delta. I've corresponded with Lichuan and they have been quite responsive and helpful.
Just the other day I got word that I might be able to pick up a few Granite Devices drive, the slightly older VSD models, but pretty close to NIB, for a really good price.
And I came across a trio of older ElectroCraft E703 motors, brushed, with tachs. Really good strong motors.
So now I'm in a quandary over the motor/drive choice.
AC servo and motor combo, or old style DC brushed with Granite drives ( or Advanced Motion Controls pwm amps).

Question? has anyone actually used the Chinese AC servo/motor combos for a complete conversion? all 3 axes?
If so, which make and model? How are the drives working out? Complications? Unusual problems?

Question? same as for Granite Devices drives? AC, DC brushed, or BLDC motors?

A little help would be appreciated. Don't hold back. All opinions and experiences are welcome...................

Noel
(IRC: Roguish)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2021 02:00 #199917 by tommylight
Sorry for the late reply,
If you can afford, get the Delta ones.
There are some members here that used chinese ones with varying success, one of them managed to get them working properly once, but gave up the second go around.
I have used Granite Devices Argon drives, they are very good but the price of one drive is equal to two sets of chinese, soooo ....
From what i read about VSD back when i was researching my options, i would stay away from them, probably the reason for the low price.
I decided on Argon as the owner of the machine travels to Austria about once a month, so support was the main reason.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roguish

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds