NativeCAM buster install problems

More
21 Apr 2021 08:30 #206620 by itanc
Hi All,

I hope this is the right place to post this and apologies if not..

I have several linuxcnc machines and was gifted a box with NativeCam installed and it is such a useful tool that i am trying to install it on all my other machines. the box that works is running wheezy but all the others are buster. I have spent days trying to get NativeCam to work on buster by following (as far as I am able) all the posts, tutorials and youtube videos that i have found but to no avail.

Strategy 1....the deb file as recommended by FernV

i have copied the textfile ncam_debsetup.txt to a blank document and saved it to my desktop
from terminal i navigated to that folder and ran the textfile by typing sudo bash ncam_debsetup.txt
it says...'the repository is set up. Installing NativeCam Done'
but from here ncam-h results in 'command not found'

on the box wheezy box when i type nacm -h i get the expected help screen

Strategy 2, cloning the wheezy drive.

this i thought would be a simple experiment. but no.
I tried the dd command from the terminal to clone the wheezy drive. I waited till complete but when i try to boot from the new drive i get 'no operating system available' or (on the second attempt with a different drive) it syays 'run out of disk space'.

Strategy 3 cloning the wheezy drive with gparted.

for the life of me i cant work out how to get gparted onto the buster box. I have obviously tried synaptic package manager but i simply dont know how to use it. when i search for gparted from within the synaptic package manager it finds nothing

Strategy 4. Fresh wheezy install followed by the deb package setup.

this has got to be easy i thought.
search for wheezy download
which architecture?? i picked the AMD64 as it was suggested that most systems are this.
saved to a usb stick
when i put that in the buster box and turn it on it just hangs there.

now suffering ELFS (extreme linux fatigue syndrome)

I love NativeCam as it fills a much needed gap in the home converted linuxcnc lathe toolpath generation arena and i really want a reliable strategy for installing.

I understand that many of the forum users might well be rolling there cyber eyes at such basic newbie stuff but i would really really appreciate any help (even if that is telling me the correct place to post this sort of stuff.

Thanks all

Tanc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2021 22:53 #206732 by andypugh

I understand that many of the forum users might well be rolling there cyber eyes at such basic newbie stuff

No, not at all.

I would say that where you want to be is Debian Buster and LinuxCNC 2.8.1.

Then concentrate your efforts on getting ncam working on that.

it is very rarely a good plan to step back to an OS (Wheezy) so old that all support has been withdrawn.

So, start with a fresh install from the current LinuxCNC .iso image, and then we can work through the ncam issues one by one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds