Grinding machine with linuxcnc

More
25 Apr 2021 15:37 #207023 by papagno-source
Goodmorning everyone.
I wanted to ask if you can retrofit a tangential grinding with linuxcnc.
These machines normally have the table axis (x) that oscillates by means of a hydraulic cylinder, so it is not a CNC axis, but managed externally in analogue.
The cnc axes are the Y and the Z, where the Z is the vertical and the Y is the axis that carries the grinding wheel back and forth.
The machine has two diamonds which are used to revive and form the wheel.
The diamond is spherical in shape with a defined radius.
The problem is that if we were to use the g19 plane we could not use the radius compensation g42 or g41 because linuxcnc does not support it.
We could therefore think of using the g18 plane of a cutter and using the X axis instead of the Y, in order to create a g2 x10 y10 r5.
In reality, the X and Z will create the same movement in space as the Y and Z.
What do you think ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2021 16:17 #207028 by BigJohnT
I would think that if you setup the grinder like a horizontal spindle and then you can use cutter comp. Just thinking out loud...

JT

More
25 Apr 2021 16:37 - 25 Apr 2021 16:39 #207032 by papagno-source
the machine is the one shown in the figure.
The magnetic plane oscillating under the grinding wheel moves from left to right and vice versa hydraulically. The vertical axis should be Z, while the axis that carries the grinding wheel back and forth would be X and using the g18 plane I could perform an arc between x and Z in the direction of X, in order to execute an arc profile on the wheel circumference in the X direction, i.e. from back to front of the wheel thickness, since the diamond will be installed on the right of the oscillating table so as to be at the center of the wheel with the table all on the left.
Stare that the radius compensation in linuxcnc is not implemented on the g19 plan.
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Apr 2021 16:39 by papagno-source.

More
25 Apr 2021 22:21 #207049 by scotth
If you have the diamond mounted on the work table use a G54 offset after the dress.

All you need is the diamond height in relation to your part.

More
29 Apr 2021 11:56 #207361 by andypugh

Stare that the radius compensation in linuxcnc is not implemented on the g19 plan.

Why not configure the machine so that the spindle is along Z and you set height with Y and position with Z?
You would probably need to have a "dummy" X move to make the compensation happen.

It is probably simplest to treat wheel diameter as tool length and use tool length comp.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds