How to setup and gcode for a large arc?

More
26 Apr 2021 00:58 #207055 by dansawyer
The project is to create a number of parts with an arc. The blanks are 1 inch by 1/2 inch by 3 inches. The project is to mill a 10 inch diameter arc in the 1/2 inch side with the arc starting and ending in the corners.
In this example The distance from the arc center to the corner is 10 inches, the hypotenuse. The distance to the center, adjacent, is 9.8869 inches.
My plan is to mark the center of the blank on the half inch side and clamp it perpendicular to the X azis. Then home the mill on the center mark.
Now the 'direct' approach is to move X to -9.8869 and home X and Y. Now it is a simple to move to X to 9.8869 and Y to 1.5 and then mill the arc.
Is there a way to do this without actually having to move the bed back and actually setting home? Is there a 'relative' 0 function or offset?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2021 13:31 #207116 by OttoDidact
In the top left corner of the axis gui, select your axis and then press the touch off button below it. You can then set your offset to zero or whatever number you want.

Good luck.

More
26 Apr 2021 14:23 #207119 by dansawyer
Thank you. That sets G54 to the negative offset value. What role does G54 have? Does it affect operation?

More
26 Apr 2021 14:32 #207121 by OttoDidact
G54 is the coordinate system you are in unless you explicitly change into another one.

I print it out a hard copy of the manual and had it bound at a local print shop. I keep it by the machine and often refer to it when I have questions and there's a couple of blank pages in the back where I keep some notes about issues I keep running into.

It's pretty full of information and a lot of that information is dense so you can read it a few times before something like coordinate systems makes sense. I understand them, I sometimes use them but generally I need to go to the manual to sort things out when they get weird.

More
29 Apr 2021 12:02 #207362 by andypugh

Is there a way to do this without actually having to move the bed back and actually setting home? Is there a 'relative' 0 function or offset?

Why do you need to have the coordinate origin at the centre of the arc? G2 and G3 can have the arc centre located anywhere in the universe.

In this case it is probably easiest to use R-format, and just tell it that you want a 10" arc.

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds