"Start from line" enforces all tool changes from start to happen...

More
28 Apr 2021 17:48 #207316 by mydani

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
More
30 Apr 2021 11:36 #207443 by bevins

Answer: github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/issues/246#issuecomment-423049528

You found the elephant behind the tree in the room.

QTPlasmaC got around this issue I think by loading a temp file starting from the line you selected and it does not have these behaviours because it is like loading a new file and starting from scratch. This is amazing and all the other screens should do the same thing and that may fix the issue with run from line and a remap. But I dont know as I havent tried a toolchange remap with QTPlasmac and it may never come up until someone tries to change tools (torch) on a QTPlasmac machine.

I have never had an issue with the run from line in QTPlasmac. It just works everytime.

just ranting..... sorry

More
30 Apr 2021 15:45 #207461 by mydani
All good. I think there are some possibilities to hack-in a skip of remaps in the interpreter in case of ongoing "start from line", or maybe some hack in the remap which exists w/o being a queue-buster, or similar...

Just need to dig into it... *sigh*

More
01 May 2021 21:52 #207578 by andypugh

QTPlasmaC got around this issue I think by loading a temp file starting from the line you selected and it does not have these behaviours because it is like loading a new file and starting from scratch. This is amazing and all the other screens should do the same thing

I disagree. There are too many case like this where a particular screen has a clever workaround for something that should be fixed elsewhere in the code so that it is fixed for every GUI.

More
02 May 2021 00:07 #207594 by cakeslob
What kind of lines do you guys run from? This isnt a linuxcnc specific question, im curious how other people use it on other controllers as well. I understand for plasma its a different situation, but for the cnc mill/lathe users, what lines do you run from and what do you expect to happen?
For example, if you start in the middle of a surface profile toolpath and you start on line " g1 x56 y78"
will it move in only x and y until it receives a z move? or does the spindle/coolant/etc start up and it rockets to the correct position? or does it move all 3 axis at once (like 3d diagonal) into position?
I ask, because I've never really started from any other line than a tool change at work or home on linuxcnc, and Ive never had the issue with it cycling through all toolchanges or anything weird/scary, but i only ever start from lines like this, i would start from n24
N24 T24 ( 5/16 FLAT ENDMILL)
M06
G00 G17 G90 G54 X5.7003 Y-4.2403 S4340 M03
G43 H24 Z2. M08 T3
Z.1
G01 Z-.0491 F15.
X5.7024 Y-4.236 F40.
X5.7191 Y-4.2023 Z-.0529
X5.722 Y-4.1929 Z-.054

More
02 May 2021 02:01 #207595 by bevins

QTPlasmaC got around this issue I think by loading a temp file starting from the line you selected and it does not have these behaviours because it is like loading a new file and starting from scratch. This is amazing and all the other screens should do the same thing

I disagree. There are too many case like this where a particular screen has a clever workaround for something that should be fixed elsewhere in the code so that it is fixed for every GUI.

Normally i would agree with you but since most of these hacks and workarounds stems from using a 40 year old interpreter i dont mind having the gui’s changed individually to get the functionality needed. I have had customers drop linuxcnc because of some of these issues.

More
02 May 2021 09:29 #207608 by pippin88
Run from line is not as simple as it first seems

Is the spindle on? Should it be? RPM?
What work offset?
Z height?
Many other complications.

For some GCode it will be easy - starting at a toolchange often will have all the important code like ME, RPM, correct X,Y,Z moves.
But a long file without tool changes won't have those things and starting from the middle may be problematic.

More
02 May 2021 18:12 #207663 by mydani
I personally also start from a tool change line, and my cam sets all required parameters afterwards, so no checks at all required.
Call it a "dumb start from line". Combined with a possibility to manually (MDI) preset everything, e.g. G17/.., Fxx, Sxx, M3/4, ... this dumb start from line would be really helpful for the intermediate user.

Time to create page: 0.750 seconds