Flashing mesa firmware

More
27 Aug 2023 13:31 #279090 by MAG45
Flashing mesa firmware was created by MAG45
Can anyone explain the process to flash 5i25 firmware? I will be using a c10 bob that is already setup and running. Just want to go from pport to 5i25 output on the pc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2023 15:44 #279094 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Flashing mesa firmware
Typically you issue the command:

sudo mesaflash --device 5i25 --write 5i25_xxxx.bit

where "5i25_xxxx.bit: is the desired new firmware
from the 5i25.zip archive

and if that succeeds:

sudo mesaflash --device 5i25 --reload

(or power cycle)  to load the new firmware into the FPGA

More
31 Aug 2023 11:15 #279467 by JT
Replied by JT on topic Flashing mesa firmware
You could use my Mesa Configuration Tool to flash the 5i25.
gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/mesact/index.html

JT

More
07 May 2024 20:06 #300062 by jg00163206
Replied by jg00163206 on topic Flashing mesa firmware
im having issues flashing firmware with the mesact. i put the files in the directory it tells me but when i go into mesa configuration tool, and the firmware tab there is nothing there. i also keep getting error messages and it tells me to file a complaint but i have no clue what to file it under since its different every time. before i installed the mesa configuration tool i was able to jog the machine in pncconf under test axis but now, sometimes it lets me jog, most of the time it wont. it just errors out and the red light on the board comes on. i ended up reinstalling linuxcnc. with mountain of info on the internet, one post will say do one thing and another post another. there is just so much information(sometimes conflicting) it gets bogged down with junk config files. i cant even ping the board unless i create a new connection under edit connections. i guess i am not sure what the mesa configuration tool even does. i can't get it to work and i guess i wouldn't know if i got it to work anyway since it seems to have no effect except to create files that already exist. do i even need it? the instructions tell you to put the firmware into /home/mill/./local/lib/libmesact/7i96s and i create the file and reinstall mesact and go into firmware to flash firmware and there is nothing there. plus it seems to create files that i have already created and screws things all up. i know its not the tool. its me. it just gets very confusing what tools to use where. if pnccnof creates the necessary files, what do use the mesact for? and for me anyway, it just creates more questions than it answers. any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

More
07 May 2024 20:18 - 07 May 2024 20:25 #300063 by JT
So I assume from your post you don't have internet?

The instructions seem clear to me. I selected a 5i24 because I know I don't have that firmware loaded on this PC
If you do not have an Internet connection
from another computer download from
https://github.com/jethornton/mesact_firmware/releases/download/1.0.0/5i24.tar.xz
Extract the firmware to /home/john/.local/lib/libmesact/5i24

For example on this pc the firmware files for the 7i96S are in /home/john/.local/lib/libmesact/7i96s

If the firmware is not in the correct directory then Mesa Configuration Tool can't find it.

While both pnc and mesact can create configuration files the mesact tool is much more versatile and "should" be easier to use. In addition to creating the configuration files mesact also can give you information about your PC, down load Mesa manuals and a whole lot more.

JT
Last edit: 07 May 2024 20:25 by JT.

More
07 May 2024 20:36 #300065 by jg00163206
no i have internet. im just having an issue getting the files all in the right place. i think.

More
07 May 2024 20:40 #300066 by jg00163206
what i do after i put the files in /home/mill/./local.............? when i go into mesact there are no files in the firmware section. no option to put files in there. every field in the firmware section is greyed out. except the ones that sy future use or something of that nature

More
08 May 2024 09:52 #300099 by JT

no i have internet. im just having an issue getting the files all in the right place. i think.

If you have internet then you select the board on the Machine tab in the Mesa Setup group box then from the Downloads menu select Firmware. The firmware is downloaded and installed without any need to manually copy files.

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
08 May 2024 12:46 #300116 by JT

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds