MESA 5i24 linear scale/stepper feedback

More
09 Feb 2024 23:08 #292961 by tomstr21
Hi everyone,

I am in the middle of a cnc mill build that I inteded to run only with NEMA 34 steppers. Since I hate to re-do any of my projects I started wondering if adding linear scales right now would be a good choice since it's not *that expensive*...

Sadly, I am still a big noob in linux cnc so I am really scared of the config that this would need. My main question is that if it's doable for someone who is not an expert.

I noticed that the basic config of my MESA card offers encoders for each axis and it would be awesome if I could use the steppers I already have in a closed loop.

Thanks a lot
Tomas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2024 23:23 #292964 by tommylight
Yes.
Since you already have a working machine, adding encoders/scales requires wiring and a bit of tuning. If you are up for wiring, tuning should be easy enough needing some trial and error, but from my experience, far simpler that analog servo tuning.
The main thing to confirm after wiring encoders/scale is that they count in the right direction (direction can be changed from LinuxCNC GUI) then playing with P and FF1 values on the "calibration" window from the "machine" menu, saving those values and testing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tomstr21

More
09 Feb 2024 23:29 #292965 by tomstr21
The machine is not working yet..sorry I wasn't clear enough.
I am up for wiring anytime :) ...I am an electrical engineer so that part shouldn't be much of an issue. What I am worried about is configuring linux... how much of a challenge would that be? Not really the tuning but the setup of stepper/scale "relationship".

More
09 Feb 2024 23:36 #292966 by tommylight
Not much, step scale and encoder scale are separate, so you would first make the machine work with steppers only, taking care of step scale, then enter the number of pulses the scale produces for 1mm of travel, or 1 inch.
The above mentioned tuning and some testing to make sure the distances traveled are correct.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tomstr21

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds