Latency, error finishing read, and IRQ affinity

More
20 Apr 2024 10:28 #298713 by tommylight
sudo chmod 777 rt_setup.sh
sudo chmod a+x rt_setup.sh
I think ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: jg00163206

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2024 19:41 #298748 by jg00163206
i changed the permissons on the file. i am refering to, in the file it states; "by default this program does nothing. change the exicution bits to run this file' or something along those lines. ill post an error report next time i am in front of it.

More
20 Apr 2024 21:56 #298751 by PCW
I should note that the rt_setup.sh depends on the host Ethernet port being setup in the interfaces file
and that the IP addresses in rt_setup.sh must match the host IP address setup there.

as far as permissions go, all that's needed is

chmod +x   rt_setup.sh
and then
sudo ./rt_setup.sh
The following user(s) said Thank You: zmrdko

More
22 Apr 2024 01:09 #298809 by jg00163206
i didn't get that pc working but i have a duo core laptop that i have it up and running on. i had it working on 2.8 at one point but my hardware configuration doesn't seem to like 2.9. i had issues with 2.9 when i first started researching linuxcnc so i switched back to 2.8 but i can't seem to get it working the way i had it. im going to remove and all the extra hardware from that pc and see if i can't install them one by one and pin point the issue. i get a journalctl error when i go through all the steps on the first page and when i run sudo ./rt_setup.sh, i get command not found. even thou i went through and setup the ethernet correctly and am able to ping the mesa 7i96s and get output from mesaflash. i created the file, made it exicutable and i still get the errors. the only pc i was able to get it work on was the duo core just to see if it was me or the machine. the service didn't run because it said i only had two cores but i didn't get the same error i get on two other four core machines. at this point, as long as it runs on the laptop i can work on the other machines at a later time and try to figure out my issues. thank you guys for all your help. it wont be the last time i need you, im sure. right now, i need some example hal and ini files to work with my drivers and servo as spindle. but ill start a new thread if my searching turns up empty
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
01 May 2024 18:37 #299496 by hachi
Is there any clear benefit or drawback to isolating extra cpus and then pinning the mesa ethernet to something other than the last one?

Also is there a way to configure which CPU LinuxCNC (I assume motmod?) pins to?

More
02 May 2024 00:16 #299518 by PCW
AFAIK LinuxCNC always pins itself to the highest numbered CPU

More
02 May 2024 08:07 #299531 by rodw

Is there any clear benefit or drawback to isolating extra cpus and then pinning the mesa ethernet to something other than the last one?

Also is there a way to configure which CPU LinuxCNC (I assume motmod?) pins to?

Probably eye candy because isolating more cores gives better looking  (faster) latency-histograms.
But with a Mesa card, the key paramater is the network latency, not the CPU latency.

More
02 May 2024 11:55 #299543 by mozmck
PCW is right - LinuxCNC always pins itself to the highest numbered CPU. The only benefit to isolating other cores as far as I know is to isolate any cores that share cache with the highest numbered core. The script does this automatically.

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds