5-Axis Head-Table Config - LCNC Novice

More
12 Feb 2024 05:26 - 12 Feb 2024 22:30 #293129 by TheRealGoose
Hello everyone,

I am hoping to find some help in my endeavors here, as I have never used LCNC before, and have also decided that I should make a 5-axis as my first LCNC machine.

First, let me explain what I have so far. I have been slowly planning my fairly basic 5-axis for quite some time now after I had such an enormous amount of fun working with the 3-axis I originally made. I came to LCNC because it seemed like one of the most capable (and affordable) CNC control softwares available. I have a decent understanding of computer until now, but the learning curve of LCNC is still significant to me. I have only just begun construction of my machine, so I will be unable to test for quite a while. I am, however, working on setting up a machine simulator in F360 so I can maybe start working on the software aspect before I get too deep in hardware. My machine will have the standard XYZ axis, a rotary axis on the table, and a rotary axis on the head that will rotate around Y. I will be running LCNC with a parallel BoB, unless you guys suggest otherwise. From my understanding, I think the max5kins will suit my purposes, but I am not sure of how to modify it to my needs, or even how to set it as the active kinematic config (complete LCNC novice). I am also curious about TCP control, if that is something I can set up. I will probably be using MasterCam if I can get a student subscription, but I will need to figure out post processing and such before I get that far. I don't have the greatest questions, but I don't really know where to start with all of this. Thank You!
Last edit: 12 Feb 2024 22:30 by TheRealGoose.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2024 08:22 #293141 by tommylight
There is another topic discussing this subject on this forum, search for nutating head.

More
12 Feb 2024 09:05 #293143 by tommylight
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheRealGoose

More
12 Feb 2024 22:30 #293174 by TheRealGoose
I just realized I titled my post wrong. The machine I am trying to create has a head-table configuration where they are both perpendicular to each other. One rotary on the table, spinning about the Z axis, and one on the head spinning about the Y.

More
13 Feb 2024 06:43 #293198 by Aciera
The kinematic is set in the [KINS] section of your ini file:
[KINS]
KINEMATICS =  maxkins
JOINTS = 6

I'm not really familiar with the 'max5' kinematics but it looks like you can set the pivot-length with an ini entry like this (look in 'max5kins.ini.expanded' file):
[MAX]
# distance from the end of the "reference tool" (tool-length - 0) to the
# center of the head tilt axis
B_PIVOT_LENGTH = 0
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheRealGoose

More
13 Feb 2024 06:53 #293199 by Aciera
Actually, looking at 'maxkins.c' it seems that the pivot-length is set by a hal pin:
    // B correction
    double zb = (*(haldata->pivot_length) + joints[8]) * cos(d2r(joints[4]));
    double xb = (*(haldata->pivot_length) + joints[8]) * sin(d2r(joints[4]));

you can set this in the [HAL] section of your ini file.

HALCMD = net    pivot-len                                   maxkins.pivot-length
HALCMD = sets   pivot-len                                   <your pivot length here in machine units>

Also from the kinematic file:
* Note: The direction of the B axis is the opposite of the
* conventional axis direction. See
* https://linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode/machining-center.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, TheRealGoose

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds