Changing from Parallel port to Mesa 7i96s

More
13 Feb 2024 21:29 #293265 by geertd
Hi,

Lately I am having some issues with my parallel port configuration and decided to switch to a Mesa 7i96s.  Since I do not have a lot of experience with hardware of this kind, I have some questions/doubts before proceeding:

- By switching from Parallel to 7i96s I will also eliminate the breakout board that came with the machine, as well as the wiring from BB to stepper motor drivers.  I do not know which cables are recommended for connecting the 7i96s to the stepper drivers.  Would a twisted pair cat 6E cable be OK for that?
- Currently the wiring from my machine to the stepper motor drivers has all the step+ and dir+ of all axis wired together (breakout board only has step and dir, no step+ step- and dir+ dir-).  I guess with the 7i96s I should connect all step+, step- and dir+ dir- to the equally named pins on the stepper motor drivers separately?  (not joining all the + ones)
- The BB on this machine only has one Yaxis output that connnects to both Y axis drivers (this is a gantry machine).  Should I do the same with my mesa card or use a separate Y1 and Y2 output to each of the drivers?

Thanks in advance

Geert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2024 22:12 #293270 by tommylight

- By switching from Parallel to 7i96s I will also eliminate the breakout board that came with the machine, as well as the wiring from BB to stepper motor drivers.  I do not know which cables are recommended for connecting the 7i96s to the stepper drivers.  Would a twisted pair cat 6E cable be OK for that?

Yes and yes, twisted pair is OK, leave them twisted.

I guess with the 7i96s I should connect all step+, step- and dir+ dir- to the equally named pins on the stepper motor drivers separately?  (not joining all the + ones)

Use just step+, step-, dir+, dir-, so no GND at all. This works with most drives, you did not mention what drives. NO joining of any pins, not even GND, - or + .

- The BB on this machine only has one Yaxis output that connnects to both Y axis drivers (this is a gantry machine).  Should I do the same with my mesa card or use a separate Y1 and Y2 output to each of the drivers?

If the machine has limit/home switches on both Y axis, wire them separately.
If there is only one limit/home switch or no homing switch, wire both together.
The following user(s) said Thank You: geertd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds