How do I find out what setup I'm using (dialect, post-processor, etc)?

More
27 Feb 2024 15:20 - 27 Feb 2024 20:03 #294607 by vchov
Hi, I'm looking for your help doing some detective work. I'm a member of a makerspace and am told that one of their woodworking CNC routers uses LinuxCNC, but am having trouble getting a definitive answer on how to set up a FOSS CAD/CAM workflow for it, or at least one that runs natively in Linux. My guess is that multiple people worked on it over the years so knowledge on it is fragmented.

Can you please offer advice and/or resources so I can find out more about this setup and how to use it? I have some experience using their more turnkey CNC routers and proficiency in using Linux, but very little as far as setting up and troubleshooting a CNC.

For example, I want to find out: what software/firmware it's running, what dialect of g-code it uses, how to choose a post-processor for it, etc.

What I know about the machine:
I'm told that we're using either a modified Gerber Sabre 408 or a modified "pre-production prototype" of it where they completely replaced the controller with one that's used by LinuxCNC. One member said that it uses "G64 Path Blending", although I'm not sure what that means.

There are some computers with VCarve Pro on them and I found that the post-processor mentions "EMC2-G64 Arcs (Inch)". It looks like it might not have come with VCarve, but I don't know where it could have come from and what if any, modifications were made prior to importing the PP. VCarve Pro exports its g-code as *.ngc files.

Thanks a lot for the help!
Last edit: 27 Feb 2024 20:03 by vchov. Reason: Got full name of post-processor according to VCarve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Feb 2024 04:27 #294659 by spumco
Part 1
Assuming you can access the Linux desktop, open a terminal and type

uname -a

The response will identify the kernel version the system is running.

Next, type

linuxcnc

This will start linuxcnc and a window will pop up which allows you to select a user interface (configuration selector).

In addition, the terminal (which is still open) will display the linuxcnc version.

Copy the results of both of the above terminal responses and paste them here.

Part 2
Open a file manager window and navigate to the linuxcnc\configs directory.

Inside that directory you should see one (or more) sub-folders. That sub-folder contains (among other things) the files which tell LCNC everything it needs to know about your machine (i.e. what user interface to use, how many axes it has, how fast it can go, etc.).

Look for a file which ends in ".ini", as well as a file which ends in ".hal".  There are likely a few HAL files in the folder.  If there is one that is larger than the rest - and it's probably named the same as the INI file - those files will help us understand exactly what you've got going on.

Attach the two files (INI and HAL) along with the terminal results and post back to this thread.

More
28 Feb 2024 05:26 #294662 by cornholio
FreeCad is one solution for your CAD\CAM.
If you need to know about supported gcodes you can always look at the docs.
If you’re running a Mesa controller in place of a grbl controller, firmware version isn’t an issue. Mesa isn’t in the habit of updating (or having to update) firmware everyday that ends in a “y”.
If the machine is working and doing it’s jib without any issues don’t mess with it, it’s easy to mess things up and dig a deeper hole. Even if it’s running on a EOL version of Debian and an old version of Linuxcnc I’d leave it be. Basically if it works, don’t fix it.
The best thing you can do is back up the machine configuration.
Just don’t make changes for changes sake and mess it up for everyone else. And if you do make changes make absolutely sure that anyone using the machine is well aware. Like any tool a cnc machine is not a toy, not a tool everyone can use and can bite, bite so bad a trip in a big white van with flashing lights may not be out of the question.
The following user(s) said Thank You: zz912

More
28 Feb 2024 05:36 #294663 by cornholio
There’s no real need to have a Linux solution for cad\cam.
In any case I’d be asking what the other members prefer, what they use.
Cambam isn’t a bad little program, runs on both Windows & Linux and has some basic cad features.
FreeCad can be a little frustrating due to the topological hierarchy, it can do some up expected things if you aren’t careful. The CAM portion isn’t as mature but is coming along.
Librecad is quite capable for simple 2d things, along the lines of early Turbcad.
If you’re proficient in Linux I’m guessing you have the wherewithal to do some searching and evaluating of the various packages out there.

More
08 Mar 2024 19:21 #295468 by vchov
Okay thanks a lot, and sorry for the delay!  I just got to visit the makerspace.

Part 1
uname
returns the following:
Linux gerber 3.4-9-rtai-686-pae #1 SMP PREEMPT Debian 3.4.55-4linuxcnc i686 GNU/Linux

When I type in linuxcnc into the terminal, I saw this:
LINUXCNC - 2.7.14
Machine configuration directory is '/home/mh/linuxcnc/configs/my_LinuxCNC_machine_2'
Machine configuration file is 'my_LinuxCNC_machine_2.ini'
Starting LinuxCNC...
Found file(REL): ./my_LinuxCNC_machine_2.hal
Found file(REL): ./custom.hal

Part 2
There were indeed multiple INI and HAL files in the config folder.  The contents of the config folder are as follows:
backups/
tool.tbl.bak
tool.tbl
shutdown.hal
postgui_call_list.hal
my_LinuxCNC_machine_2.ini.bak
my_LinuxCNC_machine_2.ini
my_LinuxCNC_machine_2.hal
linuxcnc.var.bak
linuxcnc.var
custom_postgui.hal
custom_gvcp.hal
custom.hal
autosave.halscope

I attached the largest HAL file and its associated INI file since the HAL file is ~300 lines long and the INI file is ~200 lines long.

Thanks again!
Attachments:

More
08 Mar 2024 20:39 #295474 by tommylight
It is using a Mesa 5i25 that is inside the PC and has a DB25 port that is the same shape and pinout as a parallel port, but much faster and is wired to a Mesa 7i76 that is on the machine, the stepper/servo drives are wired to it and so are input/outputs, sensors and spindle.
-
For simple 2.5D stuff look at Inkscape, it is very easy to use and can export gcode that LinuxCNC works perfectly with.
The following user(s) said Thank You: spumco, vchov

More
09 Mar 2024 04:25 #295488 by spumco
@Tommy
Can you think of any bugs or issues with 2.7 that might suggest upgrading to 2.8 or 2.9?

@vchov,
Tommy's beat me to the punch, as usual.

To expand on it a little, your router is running a slightly older version of LinuxCNC (2.7).  The current version is 2.9.  I don't think upgrading to the latest version is necessary, but @Tommylight or someone else may have a better understanding of the improvements/changes.  I'm pretty sure upgrading LCNC to 2.9 will require the Linux OS to also be upgraded to a later version.

Your next step(s) will be to decide on a CAD/CAM package to use.  Inkscape works of course.  If you want to use Vectric Vcarve, you appear to already have a post that might work.

In addition, I found this discussion:

forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?t=20059

It seems that you've got the G64 version of an appropriate post.  I'd suggest using vcarve and that post and do some testing.

The "G64" refers to a motion profile setting in LinuxCNC that controls path blending.  A short description is here:

linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/gcode/g-code.html#gcode:g64

And a longer description of path blending, and trajectory controls is linked at the above page.

Just about anything else you want to know about the control (linuxcnc) is available in the online user manual.  Quite a lot of the manual is devoted to configuring a machine and user interfaces, but the G-code section should be a good place to start.

In addition to getting to know the control, you can also experiment with different user interfaces if you'd like.  You machine is currently set up to use the "AXIS" interface.  Have a read through the manual and test out some of the simulations available.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, vchov

More
09 Mar 2024 14:25 #295516 by tommylight
In general, there is never a good reason to update/upgrade if the machine is working properly and does what it is supposed to do without a fuss.
2.7 was the time when the trajectory planner got updated/upgraded with what i would sum as "better execution speed", so that might be the only reason to upgrade, or if you plan do upgrade the machine with more functionality.
I still have machines running 2.5 on Ubuntu 8.04 in daily use, no reason to upgrade as they work perfectly. The only reason for upgrading such old machines for me is lightning strike taking the PC out, this happens quite often here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cornholio

More
09 Mar 2024 19:43 - 09 Mar 2024 19:47 #295535 by vchov
Okay I'll take a look at the discussions you mentioned and look up what those Mesa boards are for.

Ideally, I'd be able to use FreeCAD and Inkscape. Inkscape is already popular at the makerspace for using the laser cutters, but everyone seems to use VCarve Pro and sometimes Fusion 360. We also often design things in Inkscape and import SVGs into VCarve to create the actual tool paths.

I'd prefer not to dual-boot my laptop, use a VM, or try to use Wine. I haven't had much luck installing VCarve using Crossover (Wine). I already use FreeCAD for modeling 3D prints, so it would be convenient to use it for CNC once I can get over the initial hump of getting it to generate compatible g-code.

Would it be helpful if I tried to export the post-processor from VCarve for examining to see if it's significantly different from FreeCAD's built-in LinuxCNC settings?

I got really confused at first since I saw the name was "EMC2-G64 Arcs (Inch)" instead of just something like "LinuxCNC" since I couldn't find many helpful Google results for "EMC2-G64 Arcs (Inch)". Maybe it was just named that for legacy reasons.
Last edit: 09 Mar 2024 19:47 by vchov. Reason: Add reasons for not using VCarve or Fusion

More
09 Mar 2024 21:29 #295538 by tommylight
EMC2 was the old name for LinuxCNC project, had to be changed to avoid legal action as EMC is a huge company, last week been on the news a lot, they are the owners of VMware and they got sold for a "hard to calculate" sum of money.

Time to create page: 0.210 seconds