How do I find out what setup I'm using (dialect, post-processor, etc)?

More
10 Mar 2024 00:43 #295546 by cornholio

In general, there is never a good reason to update/upgrade if the machine is working properly and does what it is supposed to do without a fuss.
2.7 was the time when the trajectory planner got updated/upgraded with what i would sum as "better execution speed", so that might be the only reason to upgrade, or if you plan do upgrade the machine with more functionality.
I still have machines running 2.5 on Ubuntu 8.04 in daily use, no reason to upgrade as they work perfectly. The only reason for upgrading such old machines for me is lightning strike taking the PC out, this happens quite often here.

It's great to hear "if it ain't broke don't fix it" philosophy. I'd say there could be some offices running Win95 as a print server connected to some ancient dot matrix printer. I know from my experience designing frames & trusses for production that the "print server" was always the oldest.

I would also suggest, in a group situation, to keep the machine running Linuxcnc to doing just that. Have the CAD\CAM on a separate machine, less chance of things going FUBAR.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2024 15:30 #295580 by vchov
To clarify about my intentions, I'm trying to be able to use FreeCAD or other FOSS software on my personal computer to generate g-code that I can then load onto the computer that controls the CNC. This means not making any modifications to the computer running LinuxCNC.

The current situation is I have to reboot my laptop into Windows, design in VCarve, send the file to a computer at the makerspace, create the tool paths on that second computer, and then send the g-code to the computer that runs LinuxCNC. Due to licensing, I have to use that middleman computer to generate the tool paths and output g-code.

The shop manager said he wanted to add more capabilities to the CNC in the future (like automatic tool changer), but those plans have been postponed indefinitely since the original volunteers who worked on it are no longer around to help.

More
10 Mar 2024 18:39 #295596 by tommylight
www.scorchworks.com/
Plenty of free stuff there, dmap2gcode is very good for depth maps if you want to get away from vcarve.

More
25 Mar 2024 09:37 #296704 by tommylight
@chatto,
Stop spamming or you will get banned.
Post in "user exchange" since it is about stepper motors and do not use other members posts as yours.

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds