How easy for newbies?

More
08 Mar 2024 11:46 #295449 by bharath12
I am new here and heard a lot about Linucnc on YouTube, but they show like an easiest tool, however I believe their would be some tough points in running.  Does Lathe tool changer can be used in linux cnc?Ans milling 4 or 5 axis can be controllable?Does we get accurate using Linux cnc with steppers? I mean in CNC mill and lathe? I am building a small machine for my little company job works so wanna start.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2024 13:18 - 08 Mar 2024 13:28 #295452 by my1987toyota
Replied by my1987toyota on topic How easy for newbies?
First let me say welcome to the site.
It can be as easy as installing linux / linuxcnc (the ISO found on the linuxcnc.org home page) on an older computer.   I prefer the Dell Optiplex 9020 small form factor. Purchase the Mesa 7i96S ethernet breakout board and install it in a control box. Then start connecting it to the various components of your machine.
   I highly recommend you download and read the manual, lots of good information in their. And keep your first install as simple as possible. Maybe a CNC 3 axis router. Their can be a huge learning curve when you make the install do a lot of custom things
( like running a pick and place machine ). I would know. LOL.
  As far as capability the program can run 9 separate axis, a meriod of solenoids,  open loop stepper motors, high resolution servo's , Lasers, Filement extuders , Tool changers, Video cameras, and multiple VFD's with a custom user interface if one was so inclined.
  Basically if its in need of computer control and it moves something in the real world ( almost any kind of robot )
with G or M code Linuxcnc  can do it . You're really just limited by your imagination and your drive to find the solution to a problem.

Lastly their's a large group of seasoned vets on this site who can help.  Best of luck on your project and see you around the forum.
Last edit: 08 Mar 2024 13:28 by my1987toyota. Reason: correcting spelling
The following user(s) said Thank You: RotarySMP, tommylight, bharath12

More
08 Mar 2024 13:35 #295455 by cakeslob
Replied by cakeslob on topic How easy for newbies?
Its not hard, but its also not easy. It will require a lot of reading but it will be worth it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, meister, my1987toyota, bharath12

More
09 Mar 2024 17:05 #295524 by slowpoke
Replied by slowpoke on topic How easy for newbies?
I'm a LinuxCNC newbie and just recently embarked on the LinuxCNC journey using a Mesa board for a 4 axis mill.

In summary I'm thrilled with the approach. In the past I did a CNC conversion using Mach and for me LinuxCNC is a much better approach. If your tech or detail adverse it might not be your cup of tea but if you want a flexible open ended system so far it is everything I could ask for.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, rodw, my1987toyota, bharath12

More
11 Mar 2024 12:35 #295627 by bharath12
Replied by bharath12 on topic How easy for newbies?
Thanks guys, I am building small lathe to make it CNC so I will get back here once done it.
@my1987royosa
I have searched for that board and it is nearly around $1000 here, however I will look to buy, but is their not available any alternative boards?

I thought to use Arduino mega or uno boards.

@Slowpoke
Can I have some details of your machine and any photo to share here?
The following user(s) said Thank You: my1987toyota

More
11 Mar 2024 13:12 #295629 by cornholio
Replied by cornholio on topic How easy for newbies?
If you are looking to use a RPi4 there are some threads running Mesa firmware on Spartan 6 dev boards available in AliExpress.

If you are using a PC with a built in Parallel Port the same boards can be used using EPP.

I’ve experimented with a couple and have had success.

There are also a couple of projects that use the Lattice based colorlight boards that can be used with a SPI interface or a Ethernet interface.

So there are some options if buying from AliExpress is an option.

When I get a chance to get to the PC I can put together a list if you would like.

More
12 Mar 2024 20:05 #295781 by my1987toyota
Replied by my1987toyota on topic How easy for newbies?

I have searched for that board and it is nearly around $1000 here

WOW. That is one wild tariff placed on that board. I have only done conversions using Mesa boards, but if you can keep looking through this site
their should be plenty of parallel port conversions that have been done. That, however is way out side my level of expertise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bharath12

More
12 Mar 2024 22:45 #295792 by Mecanix
Replied by Mecanix on topic How easy for newbies?
A thou... I'd take two. If only they would be available here, to begin with.

On the "How easy for newbies" part, good luck, all I'll say. I hope that patience and perseverance are ranking high your strong attributes!
The following user(s) said Thank You: bharath12

More
16 Mar 2024 18:01 - 16 Mar 2024 18:03 #296080 by slowpoke
Replied by slowpoke on topic How easy for newbies?

@Slowpoke
Can I have some details of your machine and any photo to share here?

Mill is a 1989 A1S knee mill, purchased used it was puke green and covered in grease but not sloppy at all, painted it silver-grey.
  • Changed motor to 3-phase and added a VFD
  • I replaced the leadscrews with ballscrews.
  • Added: ac servos, linear scales. Ditron D80 DRO.
  • Mesa 7i95t so I have room to grow, so far I have only installed drives for X and Y, so two more required for the quill and knee.
  • Repacked the spindle bearings and was happy to find upgraded made in Germany angular bearings, run-out is now < 0.0002"
  • Kijiji Vevor enclosure two for $50 so gave one to a friend and made a window in the one I'm using.
  • Kijiji used HP PC $50 based on advice from Mesa

Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Mar 2024 18:03 by slowpoke.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, bharath12

More
16 Mar 2024 18:47 #296086 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic How easy for newbies?
That chair has some stories to tell ... :)
Very nice, thank you.

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds