self build 7i96

More
21 Mar 2024 06:49 #296444 by SunShine_11
self build 7i96 was created by SunShine_11
Hello Everyone, I try to build mesa 7i96 from a sparten-6 (XC6SLX9-2TQG144C) FPGA development board that i purchased from local market. Buying the whole 7i96 board is bit expensive ( board $149  + $ 240 (shipping)+ custom), on my Last Purchase gov. charges 110% custom duty on my total invoice amount (board price + shipping ).  
HARDWARE SETUP :-
i flesh 7i96d.bit file to my FPGA which i downloaded from opensource mesa source code, i connect FPGA board with  ksz8851-16mlli, here i attach a circuit diagram that i follow to connect ksz8851-16mll with FPGA and i also attach 7i96.ucf file which i follow for pin mapping with FPGA. i Connect 50MHz OSC with pin nom 50 of FPGA, and 16bit bus  (SD[0] to SD[15]), INTRN,RDN,WRN,CMD,CSN,RSTN,X1 pins of ksz8851 are connected as per ucf file. RJ45 Female connector with isolation is connect with ksz8851 as per circuit diagram, Pin nom 75 and 78 of FPGA are connect to ground (jumper W5 and W6 to ground ) to set Default ip 192.168.1.121. External 5V 2A smps is used to powerup my entire Circuit. My FPGA board has M25P80 EEPROM.

SOFTWARE SETUP:-
latest  release of linuxcnc image ( LinuxCNC_2.9.2-amd64.hybrid.iso ) is installed on pC, i follow linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/man/man9/hm2_...FACE%20CONFIGURATION  to set Static IP to 192.168.1.1 and i also try static ip 192.168.1.100.

my problem is... i can't get stable ethernet connection with my pc and my circuit, i can't even ping 192.168.1.121, it shows Destination host unreachable. as per my knowledge for stable ethernet connection one led on rj45 female socket stay on continuously, and another led of rj45 socket keep blinking on data transfer. But in my case  both led  of rj45 socket keep blinking at almost same interval (2.5sec). i tried  rj45 female socket with isolation and without isolation. i cant even get  ethernet connection icon on top right corner of my linux pc. Can anyone help me to connect my board with pc and get proper ping reply from board. And I'm Sorry for My English.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2024 10:47 #296453 by cornholio
Replied by cornholio on topic self build 7i96
It might be interesting to see a picture of your setup.
Is the Ethernet chip on a pcb ?
Do you have a schematic of the FPGA board you are using ?

I spent a few months last year going down a similar route, I was only playing around with SPI and EPP interfaces, and 7i90 firmware as a smart serial device, but that included modifying some the smart serial firmware that runs on one of the softcores.
After having looked at various FPGA boards with Ethernet it does appear that the traces are of equal length.
Theoretically if the chip is the exact same as used in the Mesa implementation it should work.

Have you tried using arp to see if you can find the MAC ?

More
21 Mar 2024 10:56 #296456 by cornholio
Oh another thing I found, if I had to change the clock signal to another bank I had to also change the signals related to the SPI or EPP interface and rebuild the firmware.
If your circuit exactly follows the pin mapping for the 7i96s there is no need to rebuild the firmware, but a single change will require rebuilding the firmware. Depending where that change is made some real frustrating times are ahead.
Same as any changes to the click frequency.

My aplolgies if you are aware of all this.

I guess this is a case where a scope would help some what.

More
21 Mar 2024 12:26 #296463 by SunShine_11
Replied by SunShine_11 on topic self build 7i96
Thank you for Reply cornholio,
I made PCB for Ethernet chip so yes ksz8851-16mlli is on pcb and  i use Jumper wires to connect FPGA and Ethernet chip. And i Don't have schematic of the FPGA board ,they just provided pin mapping of board, And my entire setup is not on PCB , I use FPGA board, Ethernet chip pcb and breadboard to complete my setup.
I didn't modify firmware so there is no need to rebuild. And  Ethernet chip is the exact same as used in the Mesa Ethernet Cards. and I also Replace EEPROM with M25P16 same as used in Mesa card.
Now I get One LED continuously on , and another led blink on data transfer, but still didn't get ping reply from board.
i try arp- a  and Response is..." ?(192.168.1.121) at <incomplete> on enp5s0 "  

More
21 Mar 2024 14:35 #296473 by cornholio
“Jumper wires and breadboard” doesn’t sound the most reliable construction method.

When I was experimenting with an SPI interface I didn’t get reliable results, at a reasonable speed until I designed and had fabricated a PCB to reliable mate with my FPGA dev board, another at the RPi so the connecting ribbon cable had signal-gnd-signal-gnd and so on.
From memory the data sheet for the Ethernet chip has some stringent requirements regarding PCB construction and routing. I think a 4 layer board is needed. It’s been a while since I really looked, but the PCB requirements was what put me off.
If you have a PC with an on board printer port it is quite easy to throw together something that works using EPP as the communication between the computer and FPGA board.
3rd Parallel Port boards have a bit of a potted history with the EPP implantation.

More
21 Mar 2024 17:17 #296480 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic self build 7i96
Did you wire up the users LEDs?
It would be good to verify that the FPGA
started running the embedded processor
code (The user LEDs do a little dance)

More
23 Mar 2024 17:25 #296586 by wusel0464
Replied by wusel0464 on topic self build 7i96
Hello,

hasn't the Mesa 7i96 been replaced by the 7i96S due to chip procurement problems or am I wrong?

Greetings Frank

More
23 Mar 2024 18:17 - 23 Mar 2024 18:18 #296587 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic self build 7i96
Xilinx Chip availability has loosened up in the last 6 months or so.
(Mesa is actually building some Xilinx based 7I96's again mainly for
applications like plasma that don't need the analog out)

Last edit: 23 Mar 2024 18:18 by PCW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, JT

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds