Problem with Z work offset on lathe

More
08 May 2024 17:52 - 08 May 2024 17:55 #300144 by asa03
Hi guys.
So I have CNC lathe Numco Kc6, running on Linux Cnc.

I'm experienced on manual lathe and Haas CNCs. But I'm pretty new to linux, I've been playing around with it for a month now.

I'm running my second batch of parts, the first one was without a problem, but this second one keeps bothering me for two weeks.

The problem: My Z work offsets aren't holding their position. The part blanks are the same length, but when I load the part in the chuck and start the program... The facing cut just starts like 3mm from the blank.

So do you think this is problem in the software or in the machine? Because sometimes when I home the Z axis it seems to help, but I don't want to home Z axis every time I change the part.

I have a drilling cycle in program, so I'm kind of thinking if the drilling of 22mm hole might be to much force for my cnc and it somehow shifts axis position. Because during the drilling cycle I noticed the drill does few empty pecks before it's drilling material again...

Thank you for your answers in advance.
Last edit: 08 May 2024 17:55 by asa03.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2024 18:05 #300147 by tommylight

So do you think this is problem in the software or in the machine? Because sometimes when I home the Z axis it seems to help, but I don't want to home Z axis every time I change the part.

That points in the "steppers skipping" direction, but no idea if the machine uses steppers...

More
08 May 2024 18:46 #300151 by asa03
Thank you for you answer.

Yes, my cnc uses steppers.
So my gut feeling was right the drilling is just too much force on the steppers... I'll try predrilling the parts before moving to the 22mm drill.

Thank you again, you might just saved my starting business.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, zz912

More
08 May 2024 19:04 #300152 by tommylight
Give it a try and report back

More
10 May 2024 20:12 #300340 by asa03
Hey, so i tried it and it works.

Thanks again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
10 May 2024 20:27 #300342 by tommylight
Nice, thank you for reporting back.

More
10 May 2024 20:36 #300344 by asa03
No problem.
But now I want to fix another problem with my limit switch... So never ending battle I guess. I even tried looking for professional CNCs, but they are way over my budget.

If you're interested in my limit switch problem I posted about it a few minutes ago.

Anyway thank you again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
10 May 2024 21:47 #300351 by tommylight
Already replied by PCW there with a nice list of things to check.

Time to create page: 0.244 seconds