Logic assignments for VFD/Spindle control and EStops (7i96s)

More
24 Jul 2023 19:00 #276162 by supermoto
I am working on setting up my alarms, estops, and other pins and am having trouble comprehending either the wiring or the control logic coming to/from the 7i96s.

Components involved:
Mesa 7i96s
Huanyang HY02D223B
24VDC Power supply (Used for limit switches, estops, etc)

1) I was intending on having my spindle fault connected to mesa input and assign to "ESTOP" in pncconf.  When doing this, LCNC wont open because ive already got a pin assigned to ESTOP from my buttons.  What should the VFD fault be assigned to in pncconf so that itll stop all motion and shut down spindle if a vault signal is detected?  To expand on that, how is the circuit supposed to be wired for the fault (from the Huanyang VFD)? Does +24v come from power supply to DCM (vfd common), then from DRV (Y1) to Mesa input pin? If so, what assignment in pncconf can I use for that pin to react in the way I am wanting it to if parameter for DRV is set to "Fault Indication"?

2) I have similar question regarding the "Spindle at speed" wiring/logic. UPF (Y2) from VFD into mesa pin, and assign the "spindle at speed" control if UPF parameter is set to "Set Frequency Reach"?

3) Currently, when I power everything up, i can get all machine functionality to work properly, but the spindle wont change frequency (remains 0hz) unless I physically press the "RUN" button on the front of VFD first.  I know theres a "spindle enable (or run)" type pin output setting in pncconf, but I am confused a bit about what does the mesa do?  Does it provide an output voltage when the spindle is programmed to start? Should that output then go to the "FOR" input of VFD so it knows its allowed to start ramping up to speed via analog input?

Hopefully all of that made sense to you...because it has been confusing me all weekend, likely due to the poorly translated manual of my VFD.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2023 14:47 #276229 by andypugh
For the e-stop input, you probably need an "or2" hal component to combine the two possible sources into one input to the system.

I doubt that pncconf is clever enough to do this, you would need to configure it by hand, either in a custom.hal file or by editing the main hal.
(I would do the latter, but if you do it that way then you can't go back to pncconf)

For the other inputs, I would use the 24V output of the VFD, connected to the IN+ pin of the relevant 7i96 channel, and then connect the IN- pin to UPF. When the opto in the VFD triggers it will allow current flow from VFD24V to VFD DCM through the 7i96 input, triggering the HAL pin.

More
25 Jul 2023 17:57 #276240 by supermoto

For the e-stop input, you probably need an "or2" hal component to combine the two possible sources into one input to the system.

I doubt that pncconf is clever enough to do this, you would need to configure it by hand, either in a custom.hal file or by editing the main hal.
(I would do the latter, but if you do it that way then you can't go back to pncconf)

For the other inputs, I would use the 24V output of the VFD, connected to the IN+ pin of the relevant 7i96 channel, and then connect the IN- pin to UPF. When the opto in the VFD triggers it will allow current flow from VFD24V to VFD DCM through the 7i96 input, triggering the HAL pin.

uh oh....im confused again...

the UPF is the 24v output from the VFD isn't it?  I thought that should go to the IN+ of 7i96.  
Wouldn't the +24v form PSU go into the DCM of VFD, then when there is a vault, the OC "closes" and passes that through the VFD, out of the UPF and into the 7i96?

Attachments:

More
25 Jul 2023 17:59 #276241 by andypugh
My interpretation of the diagram is that UPF is an optocoupled solid-state switch that connects the UPF terminal to DCM (digital ground) when activated.

I might be wrong, but I don't think I am.

More
25 Jul 2023 18:30 #276242 by PCW
Yes. the UPF and DRV outputs are sinking (pulldown) outputs
If you wish to wire these tot a 7I96S isolated input you would
need to connect the 7I96S input common (TB3 pin 12) to +24V
and the 24V supply common to DCM.

The VFD's FOR and REV inputs must be grounded to activate
so you would connect for example:

7I96S OUT4+ --> VFD FOR
7I96S OUT4-  --> DCM
The following user(s) said Thank You: supermoto

More
25 Jul 2023 18:34 #276243 by supermoto

My interpretation of the diagram is that UPF is an optocoupled solid-state switch that connects the UPF terminal to DCM (digital ground) when activated.

I appreciate your patience in dealing with my naivete.  For some reason my brain doesn't fully understand how the circuitry is intended to work.

When the VFD manual says that UPF (and also DRV) are OUTPUTS, doesn't that mean that once the "switch" is closed it will then connect it to whatever is attached to DCM?  It doesn't necessarily need to be ground, does it?

I essentially thought that if I ran the +24v to the DCM terminal, once a fault, or an at-speed condition is reached, the switch is closed, and then the +24v is then allowed to carry on to the 7i96 input.  That input voltage would trigger the fault or "Spindle at Speed" assignment for that specific pin, and allow the motion of machine to carry out (for at-speed) or stop (for a fault).

More
25 Jul 2023 18:37 - 25 Jul 2023 18:42 #276244 by PCW
That would be the case except that the UPF and DRV outputs are polarized
so that DCM must be the lowest voltage point, that is DRV and UPF must
always be at a higher (more positive) potential than DCM.

(Technically this is because the outputs are NPN transistors with their emitters connected to DCM)

If you change the 7I96S input common as I mentioned, you can use the UPF signal as-is
though this may require rewiring other inputs like limit switches etc
Last edit: 25 Jul 2023 18:42 by PCW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: supermoto

More
25 Jul 2023 18:40 #276245 by supermoto

Yes. the UPF and DRV outputs are sinking (pulldown) outputs
If you wish to wire these tot a 7I96S isolated input you would
need to connect the 7I96S input common (TB3 pin 12) to +24V
and the 24V supply common to DCM.

The VFD's FOR and REV inputs must be grounded to activate
so you would connect for example:

7I96S OUT4+ --> VFD FOR
7I96S OUT4-  --> DCM

Darn....this will be a problem then, because I currently have the NEG from power supply going to TB3 Pin 12, and the +24v from PSU going to the other various limit switches, estop, etc...and on to the 7i96 inputs.   The theory being that if I had a broken wire or something that would render one of those switches useless, it would stop the machine.

More
25 Jul 2023 18:45 #276247 by PCW
You can still detect broken wires, that just requires NC (Normally Closed) switches.

Changing the 7I96S input common to +24V means the limit switch common would now be GND

More
25 Jul 2023 19:07 #276250 by supermoto
I do have all NC switches.

I guess I can try and reverse how I have it now. It should be an easy switchover since Ive got everything on terminal blocks.

Is it safe to assume that both the inputs, and the outputs of the VFD are sharing the DCM? In the VFD diagram, they list it twice on opposite sides of the graphic, but there is only one physical terminal on the VFD.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds