Wiring and assigning servo alarm for IHSV57 motors on Mesa 7i96s board

More
24 Jul 2023 19:16 #276164 by supermoto
I have JMC iHSV57 servo motors on my X and Y axes.  I want to connect the alarm circuit to the mesa so that the motors are run in series for the alarm.  I was told this was do-able, and wanted to double check my concept will work as intended..

I currently have -24VDC power supply negative going into the mesa's [input common] pin.
Then from power supply, +24VDC to Xaxis ALM+
Xaxis ALM- to Y1Axis ALM+
Y1axis ALM- to Y2axis ALM+
Y2axis ALM- 
to Zaxis ALM+
Zaxis ALM- 
to Mesa Input pin #10
(note: z axis is a CL Stepper with ALM+ and ALM- at the driver)

For LCNC to stop everything if there is a fault coming from any of those motors what variable should be assigned to pin #10 in pncconf to behave like the "ESTOP In" assignment?

It seemed to me that the effect of the "ESTOP In" is perfect for what the end result I am looking for, but I cannot assign more than one pin to that variable.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2023 19:33 #276167 by tommylight
Joint.0.amp-fault mesa.input.10
Or Similar
I would not wire fault pins to e-stop for anything, -e-stop is for emergencies only so it should cut power to stuff.
Joint.0.amp-fault will disable stuff, so enable should also reset drives.
And i would have faults an input each, LinuxCNC is very good at showing what drive failed.

More
24 Jul 2023 19:46 #276168 by supermoto
Im not too familiar with what the "Joint.0.amp-fault mesa.input.10" line means or how its used.

..and I should clarify a bit. I use the term "estop" in this case to describe essentially a "disable".
I have a legit ESTOP button that cuts power to everything, and 2 other psuedo-estop switches (Disable) that are on either corner of the bench that will disable all motion and stop spindle...those are assigned "ESTOP In" from pncconf and wired in series. The behavior that results in pressing one of those buttons is what I want to happen for any fault by any other component.

Im ok to have them all in series into 1 pin due to running out of available inputs, and theres a big red LED on the motors to easily identify a fault at any of them from almost any viewing angle in the shop, so I would like to keep that concept. Under what heading is the "Disable" assignment in pncconf?

More
24 Jul 2023 20:05 - 24 Jul 2023 22:42 #276170 by jmytyk
Joint.0.amp-fault mesa.input.10

--> is it a fair guess that this line is connecting Joint 0 on the software side to a connector on the Mesa board. The Amp-fault portion is passing an Amp fault signal when the logic changes. 

in a very linux way of working, the space between the two 'tokens' is all that separates this.

(SWAG --> referencing servo amplifier handling in code and since there's no 'invert' at the end, it will fire when the logic goes from high to low? in this case 24+ --> 0v)

i'm reading this... and still... umm.. yeah... it'll smack me in the head eventually
linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/hal/basic-hal.html#_hal_parameter
Last edit: 24 Jul 2023 22:42 by jmytyk. Reason: added link to docs

More
24 Jul 2023 22:22 #276177 by tommylight
This is from my hal file
####### AMP FAULT INPUTS ######
net amp0 joint.0.amp-fault-in    [HMOT](CARD0).gpio.028.in
net amp1 joint.1.amp-fault-in    [HMOT](CARD0).gpio.027.in
net amp2 joint.2.amp-fault-in    [HMOT](CARD0).gpio.026.in
The following user(s) said Thank You: jmytyk

More
25 Jul 2023 00:45 #276190 by supermoto
What does that translate to in the GUI for pncconf?

In other words, which dropdown selection in the menu of the TB3 configurator achieves that?

More
25 Jul 2023 02:13 #276194 by supermoto
In pncconf, when I set any of the outputs to [Spindle > Spindle Enable] in the drop down in TB3 tab, I can then go into LCNC and toggle spindle [F9]. The LED on the Mesa for that output turns on and off, but I don't measure any voltage across the +/- pins in either state.

The VFD only has 1 common and want to use it for the fault circuit output loop. I don't see how a 2-wire output form the Mesa can tie into the single wire input for the VFD. There has to be something I am missing for how these are supposed to be wired.

More
25 Jul 2023 03:15 - 25 Jul 2023 03:15 #276197 by PCW
Notes

Series connections of fault outputs will only work if they are normally on and off for faults
if they are normally off, they must be paralleled to combine them.

The 7I96S isolated outputs are switches, so must be used as such.

If the VFD inputs are sinking (connect to V+ to activate) you would
wire the 7I96S- outputs to the VFD control inputs and connect the
associated 7I96+ outputs to the VFDs +24V terminal.

If the VFD inputs are sourcing (connect to common to activate) you would
wire the 7I96S+ outputs to the VFD control inputs and connect the associated
7I96S- outputs to the VFDs input common pin
Last edit: 25 Jul 2023 03:15 by PCW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jmytyk, supermoto

More
25 Jul 2023 12:24 #276218 by supermoto
I believe I understand that concept.

Would the optocouplers in the servos be "normally open"? Doesn't it make more sense to have them NC so that a power failure to the motor would trigger something?

More
25 Jul 2023 13:27 - 25 Jul 2023 14:57 #276224 by PCW
The Alarm outputs are NO so must be paralleled:

From the iHSV57 manual:

Alarm Signal: OC output signal, activated when one of the following protection is activated:
over-voltage and over current error. They can sink or source MAX 8 mA current at 24 V,
respectively 200mW. The impedance between ALM+ and ALM- is high for normal operation
and becomes low when any protection is activated.
Last edit: 25 Jul 2023 14:57 by PCW. Reason: re-format
The following user(s) said Thank You: supermoto

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds