Professional machinist GUI

More
07 Dec 2012 12:24 #27369 by tjamscad
Replied by tjamscad on topic Professional machinist GUI

The link gives an error.

Gscreen has a Calculator widget that comes up if you click or double click the entry box.
If you just type digits then apply it transfers them to the entry box.

Though I don't see why the onboard keyboard can't be set up for similar duties.
The Onboard layout is configurable just not super friendly to do :)

Chris M

How much do you want to do? The onboard keyboard will be fine. John's number pad will be fine. The full keyboard from your screen shot looks good. I am just asking the questions. You all are the ones with the skills to make this work.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Dec 2012 20:44 #27383 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Professional machinist GUI
Most of those controls are loaded up with hardware buttons... I do see one screen that has a row of buttons under the screen that I assume change function as needed. My Anliam 1100M worked that way.

John

More
07 Dec 2012 21:06 #27386 by tjamscad
Replied by tjamscad on topic Professional machinist GUI

Most of those controls are loaded up with hardware buttons... I do see one screen that has a row of buttons under the screen that I assume change function as needed. My Anliam 1100M worked that way.

John

You are correct they are hardware buttons, however they are Touch on the newer controls (that we dont have any of). So if you loaded them on the right side as in the Screen shot from my second post they will work the same.

More
08 Dec 2012 23:35 #27417 by jbunch
Replied by jbunch on topic Professional machinist GUI
I have a Haas TM mill and and a lathe that I am using with linxcnc. Things I like about the Hass.

Hard buttons for:
Cycle start.
Feed hold.
Estop.
Encoder for setup.

Things that help:
Beep on key press. ( the feedback thing fewer errors)
Beep on error.
Long beep at end of cycle.

At first I was disappointed that the Haas had no touch screen. Now I do not miss it at all.
Love all the hard keys.
A plot of the part is not needed. The part plot is a waste of screen real estate.
Super simple to use. (Even I figured it out)
I like the way the offsets are setup. In jog mode you toggle between tool offsets and machine offsets.

On my lathe I use axis on a 9" touch screen with a preh programmable keyboard and custom layout. The part plot is a waste. ( backtool lathe). I would rather have more location readouts like the Haas and a longer vertical column of the gcode that is running. Also a larger area and larger buttons for ngcgui. Things that have to be added to my lathe are cyclestart, feedhold. I would love to get rid of the need for a mouse. I think a touch screen is the right idea with a hard keyboard for most data entry ( hard buttons are better period).
Another biggy is the tool table on the Haas you can use the offset key and use the arrow keys to move to the different sections of the tool table and change the parameters of the tool . No editor required ,no mouse required, no missing fields , no need to stretch the tool table box. IMHO the tool table for linuxcnc needs some work and needs to be integrated into the main system. This has to do with xwindows and focus problems.

The Haas is just flat out easier to use......

If you need more info or screen shots I can get this for you.
-
Jim

More
08 Dec 2012 23:40 #27418 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Professional machinist GUI

no need to stretch the tool table box. IMHO the tool table for linuxcnc needs some work and needs to be integrated into the main system.

An often-overlooked feature of the LinuxCNC tool editor is that you an configure it to show only the columns you want.
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gui/tooledit.html

More
09 Dec 2012 21:16 #27452 by mariusl
Replied by mariusl on topic Professional machinist GUI
John
In a previous post you mentioned that Gscreen does not run 2.5. Will this happen at some stage?

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
09 Dec 2012 21:33 #27453 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Professional machinist GUI
I think your wanting Chris not John.

John

More
09 Dec 2012 21:57 #27454 by mariusl

I think your wanting Chris not John.

John

My bad - sorry.

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

More
09 Dec 2012 23:05 #27457 by cncbasher
I doubt gscreen will be added to 2.5.1 , as theirs a lot of new code needed , that is incorporated into the development tree .
update to use the development version from buildbot etc

More
09 Dec 2012 23:24 #27458 by mariusl

I doubt gscreen will be added to 2.5.1 , as theirs a lot of new code needed , that is incorporated into the development tree .
update to use the development version from buildbot etc

I gathered that much. That leads me to a next (maybe off topic) question. If I need to build a machine with the dev code, is there a way to get the RIP code onto the clients machine without all the source.

Regards
Marius

www.bluearccnc.com

Time to create page: 0.387 seconds