Bridgeport Spindle Config

More
09 Dec 2016 02:37 - 09 Dec 2016 02:39 #83821 by eman5oh
I have a Bridgeport Boss 5 mill that I converted to LCNC last year and have it running the spindle with a VFD controlled by the analog out of a Mesa 7i76 board. I have the vfd working to control the speed and direction. I am in the process of removing the varidrive and replacing it with a fixed pulley set with a 2:1 ratio. So the machine will use the vfd to run 500-3500 rpm in high range and 5-500 rpm in low range using the back gear. I want to add an encoder to get tapping to work on the mill and need a little help sorting out how to set up my hal file to allow the encoder to work in both high and low gear. Because of where the encoder is located it will be directly reading the spindle in high gear but not in low gear due to the back gear. I need to set up the hal to have two different pulses per rev, two different volts per rev and a direction switch between low and high gear. I can't be the first person to do this and am hoping someone can point me to a wiki page or a thread with an example I can work form to get this going. I have searched but have not quite found what I need yet.
Last edit: 09 Dec 2016 02:39 by eman5oh.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2016 17:02 #83952 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Bridgeport Spindle Config
It might be best to install the encoder somewhere unaffected by the gear change.
(but, it is also worth considering if you actually expect to rigid-tap in the high hear).

www.pico-systems.com/bridge_spindle.html

Might be worth reading.

More
14 Dec 2016 01:56 #84068 by eman5oh
Replied by eman5oh on topic Bridgeport Spindle Config
That looks like a good way to go for the encoder, I still will need to deal with the direction change and the volts/rpm in the two ranges any idea's on that?

More
14 Dec 2016 12:06 #84084 by andypugh

Time to create page: 0.606 seconds