Z touch-off workflow questions

More
13 Mar 2019 06:16 #128489 by warreng
I have a workflow in mind for my CNC router (that I'm building) and I'm looking for suggestions and insight into how to make this work with Linux CNC. At this point I think I want to make a plunger button to install at a specific place on the table for setting tool offsets after tool changes. Anyway, my workflow goes like this:
1. Turn on machine and let at home. The X, Y and Z axes all move to their limit switches.
2. Put a tool in the spindle and connect a grounding lead to the tool shaft.
3. Jog the tool to a good spot and, with a touch plate, set the Z height to the top of the spoil board.
4. Jog the tool back out of the way and load a piece of material onto the spoil board.
5. Jog again to a good spot and again, with a touch plate, set the Z height for the top of the material.
6. Remove the grounding lead.
7. Press a button that tells the machine to depress the plunger touch off switch with the tool.
8. Start a job using the first tool.
9. When the job code reaches a tool change, the machine moves to the "tool change coordinates".
10. Manually change the tool. Then press a button to tell the machine to depress the plunger touch off switch with the tool, just like was performed in step 7.
11. Press go to continue with the job.
The idea is that once the initial setup with the touch plate and ground lead are done, I won’t have touch them again for the session. All tool offsets from then on are determined by the plunger button.

Pardon my ignorance. I've spent some time reading up on setting up LinuxCNC but I'm not clear on how easy this will be or what some of the terminology is.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2019 08:07 #128492 by pl7i92
there are many things that is posibel
a button that starts a NGC Touch Z
or simply MDI G91 G38.2 Z-1 F5

you can make it to your postprocessor and do it whils in programm like HERE

More
13 Mar 2019 20:19 #128542 by IrishMoss
It sounds like you have a few more steps in there than you really need.
For me, it's as simple as start machine and jog over near the SW corner of the work, do the xyz probe touchoffs, and then run the program.
Also, for the toolchanges, you'll need to edit your gcode to replace the M6 commands with a custom toolchange subroutine. That is unless you want to remap the M6 command, which is rather involved, and IMO overkill for basic home router jobs that likely won't have more that a couple tool changes throughout a job.

Anyway, I just finished my setup with all this custom probing, toolchanges, etc.
It's basically a mixture of O-subroutines, some Mcodes for dialog boxes, and halui stuff for integrating with AXIS and the probe pin.

I'd be happy to share my scripts if you want. But be forewarned, trying to figure out all this stuff before you have a fully working machine, is likely to give you headaches. (trust me, I'm an expert in getting ahead of myself)

More
14 Mar 2019 07:48 #128561 by pl7i92
it is just "learning bydoing"
as you run your system
you will find a workflow that fits your need or your mind
whatever you got it can be done and work

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds