Basic IO Test with Parallel port

More
28 Jun 2023 04:36 #274357 by PedroSMS
Hi all,
I'm very new to linuxcnc. I have installed it on a debian 10 PC.

I have a parallel port available, and connected to an interface board.

I have run the IO Setup wizard, and assigned port address, pin functions etc.

Before I connect it to the amplifiers etc, I want to do a basic IO test on it - is there a tool in the linuxcnc bundle to do that?

Kind regards
Pedro

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jun 2023 22:18 #274548 by tommylight
Thank you for your patience.
Yes, there is a tool included with LinuxCNC for exactly that, from the menu start LinuxCNC and on the config picker choose "sample configurations" then "apps" then "parport" and one of the two choices, it will ask to copy so OK but it will not work for you now, you have to close it, navigate to the configs folder and edit the hal file by adding the address of your parallel port, save, and start by right clicking on the .ini file and choosing to run it with LinuxCNC.
To test, attach the BOB and check the BOB manual on how to trigger the inputs while checking the LED's on screen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PedroSMS

More
01 Jul 2023 01:59 #274554 by PedroSMS
Thank you for your reply @tommylight.

I am away at the moment. I will have a look at that when I return.

I have noticed that the parallel port address in the configuration file is static. My machine has two PCI > LPT ports, and knowing that the PC BIOS can on rare occasions swap the addresses of these ports. Does LinuxCNC have any protections for this occurrence?

Kind regards
Pedro

More
01 Jul 2023 07:34 #274559 by tommylight
No, not LinuxCNC, that should be set in BIOS, something like resource assignment should be set from auto to manual, meaning the PC at boot time assigns addresses and IRQ's for PCI cards and everything in it.

More
02 Jul 2023 00:38 - 02 Jul 2023 00:40 #274615 by PedroSMS
Thanks again for your reply @tommylight,

I will install some software that will check the hardware configuration, before it allows LinuxCNC to run.

Kind regards
Pedro
Last edit: 02 Jul 2023 00:40 by PedroSMS. Reason: spelling
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds