Cannot Home While Shared Home Switch is Closed

More
29 Jul 2023 19:48 #276534 by kylek
Hey Folks-

New to Linux CNC, trying to stand up a build. Currently struggling getting the axes to home correctly, I get the error "Cannot Home While Shared Axis is Closed" The switches all appear to be working correctly and toggle on / off appropriately, so not sure if it is something in my configuration files?

Ini and hal are attached, any help is appreciated.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2023 08:18 #276552 by Aciera

I get the error "Cannot Home While Shared Axis is Closed"

Are you sure that is the exact error message? If I remember correctly it is something like
'Cannot home while shared home switch is closed j=2'
Where 'j=<number>' will indicate the joint that was homing at the time. So this information will be very helpful in finding the cause.

More
30 Jul 2023 11:29 #276558 by tommylight
Just a though, but probably will need to add home offset to all joints so it moves off of the switch when homing. 2-3mm should be enough.

More
31 Jul 2023 00:02 #276588 by kylek
yes, the "j=X" part of the error changes based on which axis I attempt to home. I get the error on every axis.

For example, homing X I get: cannot home while shared home switch is closed j=0

More
31 Jul 2023 02:49 #276593 by PCW
Are all home switches "false" when starting to home?

More
31 Jul 2023 15:55 #276643 by kylek
How would I check that? All the switches have the light on when starting to home (and contact with metal turns it off), so they are all in the same state, but not sure how to verify if they are flagged as false when not in contact?

More
31 Jul 2023 16:05 #276644 by Aciera
You can use the 'halshow' tool to watch pin values:

linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/hal/halshow.html

Alternatively you could just try to invert the home signals by changing this line in your hal:
Warning: Spoiler!

to this:
Warning: Spoiler!

More
02 Aug 2023 01:37 #276752 by kylek
Okay, now we're getting somewhere. I watched the home-x-y2 and home-y1-z variables in halshow and they stayed yellow the entire time, regardless of if I contacted them or not. Documentation denotes yellow is "true".

PCW - you were saying these should be "false" by default? Would the reverse typically be caused by a configuration setting or a wiring issue? Or something else entirely?

Appreciate the help!

More
02 Aug 2023 07:28 - 02 Aug 2023 07:31 #276765 by Aciera
The logic sense is determined by the wiring and the switch/sensor and can easily be changed in hal, as mentioned above.
Your problem is that there is no change of state when the switches are activated and since the switches seem to indicate that they are working it's most likely a problem with the wiring.
Could you provide more information on the switches used and how you wired them to the board?

[edit]

What board are you using to interface the signals to the pc?
Last edit: 02 Aug 2023 07:31 by Aciera.

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds