Homing with limit switches

More
21 Aug 2023 17:43 - 21 Aug 2023 21:24 #278629 by krigby
I installed to limit switches, one at each end of the lathe Z axis.  I have a limit switch on the extreme end of the travel, on Pin 15 on my BOB and it is configured as the Max Z Limit in StepConf.  I have another switch at the extreme - end of the travel on Pin 13 configured as Limit and Home.  Both switches have been tested ising the ptest display and they are registering when I press the switches.I ran Linuxcnc and hitt Home Axis.  The crossslide mover VERY slowly to the extremen end and the throws an error and I have to override the limits and restart the machine.What I waa expecting is for the Max Limit switch on the end to trip and then reverse the direction of the travel and touch the Home and Limit switch.So I guess I have a couple of questions:1) Do I have the switches wired up wrong?  Should the both be on the same pin wired in series and set to Home and Limit?2) How do I increase the speed of the travel to a ressonable level, it currently takes 2 or 3 minutes to travel the 600 mm of the bed.atttached are in HAL and INI files 

I think the search speed issue is resolved, thanks to Aciera for telling me how to fix that.

But I am still getting errors (in the screen shots) when I try to home the Z axis.
Any guidance will be appreciated.
I was expecting that Linuxcnc would sense the + linit and reverse direction and search for the - limit/home switch, but instead I got the error in the screenshots.  I checked Override Limits and restarted the machine, jogged to the - end of travel and got an error (see the screenshots).

Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Aug 2023 21:24 by krigby.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Aug 2023 18:54 - 21 Aug 2023 19:04 #278633 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic Homing with limit switches
Homing speeds are set in the respective [JOINT] section of your ini:
HOME_SEARCH_VEL = 0.500000
HOME_LATCH_VEL = 0.390625

Note that you are missing these for joint0 and also these values are very low hence probably the slow speed

Homing setup is described in detail here:
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/config/ini-homing.html

[edit]
You may want to additionally setup your home switch as your negative limit switch in hal:net both-home-z <= parport.0.pin-13-in
net max-z <= parport.0.pin-15-in
 net both-home-z => joint.1.home-sw-in
net both-home-z => joint.1.neg-lim-sw-in
net max-z => joint.1.pos-lim-sw-in
Last edit: 21 Aug 2023 19:04 by Aciera.

More
21 Aug 2023 21:14 - 21 Aug 2023 21:15 #278650 by krigby
Replied by krigby on topic Homing with limit switches
Thank you for your response, changing the velocity fixed the speed issue
Last edit: 21 Aug 2023 21:15 by krigby.

More
22 Aug 2023 18:35 #278729 by krigby
Replied by krigby on topic Homing with limit switches
Thanks for your help. The speed issue is fixed, although I found that running stepconf resets the values of the HOME_SEARCH_VEL to really low numbers when I save and exit. But I have a work around for that.

I have the home switch for the Z axis wired up but it still throws an error when the carriage hits the home switch. I just added the entries in the HAL file that you recommended, I haven't tried yet to see if that fixes the issue.

Homing is my top priority right now. Followed by spindle encoder and learning GCode.

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds