AMB Kress spindle

More
07 Sep 2023 09:17 #280181 by Jurre
AMB Kress spindle was created by Jurre
Hi,

I have recenlty bought a AMB Kress spindle, the 1050 watt quick change, and I am currently struggling installing it. The spindle rpm is driven by a 0-10v signal that needs to come from a Mesa 7I76e board. I have been messing around with both the SPINDLE and MOTION from linuxcnc but so far no succes. I am not quite sure were to put all the lines. I hope somebody can help me.

Not posting my hal and ini files since I am basically right at the beginning of this.

Kind regardsĀ 

Jurre

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Sep 2023 09:30 #280183 by rmu
Replied by rmu on topic AMB Kress spindle
It's difficult to know where to pick up given that information.

* does the mesa card work already or is that the problem
* did you check voltages and continuity of wiring
* what did you mess around with SPINDLE and MOTION, what were your expectations, what went wrong

etc...

More
07 Sep 2023 09:46 - 07 Sep 2023 09:52 #280186 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic AMB Kress spindle
You will need to setup your limits and scale in the [SPINDLE_0] section of the ini file (The values will need to be adjusted for your spindle):

OUTPUT_SCALE = 3600
OUTPUT_MIN_LIMIT = 100
OUTPUT_MAX_LIMIT = 3600

Then you need to connect the analog spindle value in the hal file:

net spindle-vel-cmd-rpm-abs <= spindle.0.speed-out-abs => hm2_7i76e.0.7i76.0.0.spinout

And also enable the spindle output with something like this: (this closes the 'spindle enable' contact on the mesa terminal and activates the electronic potentiometer on the spindle terminal'):

net spindle-enable <= spindle.0.on => hm2_7i76e.0.7i76.0.0.spinena

Being a router I presume reverse spindle rotation is not required but if you need it you can switch the Spindle Dir contact on the mesa terminal using this:

net spindle-ccw <= spindle.0.reverse => hm2_7i76e.0.7i76.0.0.spindir

[edit]
Note the mesa Spindle Terminal does not provide a Voltage but uses an external voltage fed into it's electronic potentiometer to output an adjusted voltage. So if your spindle electronic does not provide 10V either you will need to supply that voltage from somewhere else.

[edit2]
Also note that the Spindle Enable and Spindle Direction terminals are not mechanical contacts so voltage polarity needs to be correct. Please refer to the relevant section in the mesa manual.
Last edit: 07 Sep 2023 09:52 by Aciera.

More
08 Sep 2023 10:17 #280261 by Jurre
Replied by Jurre on topic AMB Kress spindle
Okay, so far spindle turns on in HAL show so this is a step forward. The scaling also seems to work since the values change when I use the slider for the RPMs.

But however nothing is turning yet. Did not know about the separate 10v that need to be supplied. Is it correct that these go to pin 3 of the spindle terminal?

And would it be fine if I got this voltage from a step-up converter, don't have 10V anywhere.

More
08 Sep 2023 11:10 #280264 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic AMB Kress spindle
yes, doesn't really matter where the 10V is coming from. +10V to Pin3 and Common to pin 1.

Time to create page: 0.217 seconds