Pulling my hair out trying to get homing working!

More
23 Sep 2023 04:59 #281433 by Sparkman61
So, I have gone over the documentation, and tried many iterations/values in pncconf wizard and I cannot get this thing to home without throwing a joint_0_limit_error.  I have a shared limit/home switch. The machine moves in the right direction, hits the switch, throws the error and quits. It will not move away from the switch. I suspect that I am missing something but after most of the day with this, I am beyond frustrated and asking for help!  I am including the ini and hal files for reference. 
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2023 07:24 #281440 by Aciera
in your hal file you have setup your home switches to double as both maximum AND Minimum limit switches which is wrong (example here for X axis but the same goes for Y and Z).

net both-home-x => joint.0.neg-lim-sw-in
net both-home-x => joint.0.pos-lim-sw-in

try (commenting or deleting):

# net both-home-x => joint.0.pos-lim-sw-in

More
23 Sep 2023 10:23 #281455 by andypugh
It's OK to have one switch for both limits and home.

Is the config wizard correctly setting the HOME_IS_SHARED and HOME_IGNORE_LIMITS ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aciera

More
23 Sep 2023 10:55 - 23 Sep 2023 10:56 #281457 by Aciera

The issue is that he has the same switch for home AND positive AND negative limits:

# ---setup home / limit switch signals---

net both-home-x => joint.0.home-sw-in
Last edit: 23 Sep 2023 10:56 by Aciera.

More
23 Sep 2023 11:05 #281459 by Sparkman61
I've actually tried it several different ways to including as a home switch only. What is in the file is just the latest iteration. I will give it another go after I get some coffee in me and report back.

More
23 Sep 2023 11:11 #281460 by Sparkman61

The issue is that he has the same switch for home AND positive AND negative limits:

# ---setup home / limit switch signals---

net both-home-x => joint.0.home-sw-in

That is a valid option in the dropdown list but I have tried it multiple ways. Again, more coffee and then I let you know.

More
23 Sep 2023 11:14 #281462 by Sparkman61
To be clear, I am only concentrating on one axis at a time - currently the X. I haven't even tried Y or Z yet so I don't know what they might do. One axis at a time is all I can get my head around at the moment. :-)

More
23 Sep 2023 11:24 - 23 Sep 2023 11:25 #281464 by Sparkman61

Is the config wizard correctly setting the HOME_IS_SHARED and HOME_IGNORE_LIMITS ?

I assume that HOME_IGNORE_LIMITS and the HOME_IS_SHARED is set by the selected option in the dropdown of the Mesa input option. Looking at the files, HOME_IGNORE_LIMITS is in the .ini file but HOME_IS_SHARED doesn't appear to be in the files. Hmmm. I assume both should be in the .ini file? Did I find a bug in the pncconf wizard?
Last edit: 23 Sep 2023 11:25 by Sparkman61.

More
23 Sep 2023 12:36 #281466 by Aciera
Are you sure you want HOME_IS_SHARED?

HOME_IS_SHARED = <n> - If the home input is shared by more than one axis set <n> to 1 to prevent homing from starting if the one of the shared switches is already closed. Set <n> to 0 to permit homing if a switch is closed.

This is only for setups where you have the home switches wired to the same input.

I don't use the config wizard for more than just creating the basic config. Once that is done I do all my customization manually in the hal and ini files. So I don't know why you got a config with the same input assigned to the positive and negative limit but I showed you how to fix it in the hal file because I think that is why your homing procedure is not working.
Of course it would be nice it the config wizard did not create it that way in the first place.

More
23 Sep 2023 12:42 #281467 by Aciera

@ andy

Am I misreading this? 
Do you mean:

1. It's OK to have one switch for both (limit and home).
 or
2. It's OK to have one switch for both limits (positive AND negative) AND home.

I presumed the first but if it is indeed the second then I apologize and stand corrected.

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds