Following error when using linear encoder feeback

More
17 Dec 2023 04:44 - 17 Dec 2023 05:18 #288374 by Robbbbbb
I've been upgrading my RF45 clone (stepper/ballscrew driven) from a Centroid acorn to a Mesa 7i95 so I could add more axis' in the future, and so I could connect the already installed linear encoders on the X & Y axis. I'm having issues with following errors when using feedback from the encoder, if I jog the axis it will almost instantly error out. I've currently only connected the x Axis for testing and I have it running fine without feedback and I can jog around and issue g0 and g1 commands with no errors at 900mm/min - position correctly corresponds with the values I'm seeing from the encoder and the actual machine moves the correct amount +-50um.

I've attached my conf, the PID values in the file aren't the ones I'm using - I ran the autotuner after I grabbed that file and forgot to update it, manually tuning the PID values doesn't seem to help. I've tried increasing the error values in the x axis config but it still errors out even with insanely large numbers 10+mm etc. I've used the HAL probe to look at the position on the linear encoder and it matches the position on screen when the error occurs, edit: I guess it will always match, what should I be comparing it to, is there a target position value? I'm not seeing any latency errors - previously I was seeing some before tweaking bios/power settings.

Please let me know if I've missed any relevant info.
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Dec 2023 05:18 by Robbbbbb.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Dec 2023 12:11 #288388 by bkt
you can not run a Gui with ini file written for 3 axis and physically connect one only .... sometime follow error can appear ... plus ....

MAX_ERROR = 0.0127

not sure is avaiable on linuxcnc ..... FERROR instead ... but better if you start to read some wiki on these like these one: linuxcnc.org/docs/html/config/ini-config...ub:ini:sec:joint-num

More
17 Dec 2023 15:03 #288410 by PCW
I would change this:

setp hm2_[MESA](BOARD).0.dpll.01.timer-us -50

to
setp hm2_[MESA](BOARD).0.dpll.01.timer-us -200

Also set MAX_ERROR to 0

and increase your following error limits in the INI file to say
1 mm temporarily, so you can run the machine and plot the following
error and do some tuning...

The current tuning (setup for a stepgen) will have much too high a P term
to be stable with encoder feedback
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robbbbbb

More
18 Dec 2023 05:48 #288461 by Robbbbbb

setp hm2_[MESA](BOARD).0.dpll.01.timer-us -200
Also set MAX_ERROR to 0

That seemed to do it, the auto tune now worked, and when I set the f-error and min-f-error to .2 and .1 I can jog around all day without error.

Will continuing to finetune the PID values allow me to reduce the f-error, or is that a limitation of my machine at this point?

Also once it reaches the position I tell it to it bounces back and forward by 5-10um, do I just keep inceasing the deadband value until that stops happening? I currently set it to 50um, and it helped, but still does it even and 100um.

Thanks for the assistance.
Attachments:

More
18 Dec 2023 13:50 #288486 by PCW
The oscillation may be tuning or backlash related, have you measured the backlash in the system?

More
19 Dec 2023 08:03 #288557 by Robbbbbb
Looks like it was both, and I also think my acceleration was way too low, since increased to 150mm/min^2. I measured and set the backlash (~30um), set the deadband to 7.5um (5um linear scales), and started tuning manually following the guide (auto tuning seems to generate garbage values). I've now got the f-error down to less than 20um with no oscillation once it reaches the set-point. I'll keep tuning but that might be as good as I can get.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds