LinuxCNC on Raspberry

More
28 Jan 2016 19:19 #69210 by kamkill
Hello,
I have to control a CNC machin with a Raspberry PI 2, I have to use Linux, LinuxCNC is not obligatory, but strongly recommanded. The problem is that I'm new to Linux and I don't know how works LinuxCNC. I have installed Linux on my Raspberry with Raspbian NOOBS (www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/noobs/), but I dont know how to install LinuxCNC, I have tried a lot of things, but nothing worked. Can someone explaine me hoe to install LinuxCNC on a Raspberry PI 2.

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2016 07:18 - 29 Jan 2016 07:19 #69218 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry
Linuxcnc does not run on ARM processors.

Machinekit does and this has a link to an image for the rpi2
groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/machinekit/HGolUP511ps

However please read the comments on the rpi's suitability as a controller,
it isn't suitable.

The people saying this are not just shooting the breeze, they know what they are talking about.
They cannot do adequate software stepping and adding hardware boards to do it defeats the initial attraction of a cheap board.

Save yourself a lot of time and effort and buy a second hand desktop x86 from ebay (of a type recommended in the latency test wiki, or elsewhere on the forum).
You will get much better results.

regards
Last edit: 29 Jan 2016 07:19 by ArcEye.

More
29 Jan 2016 10:12 #69225 by cncbasher
Replied by cncbasher on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry

Hello,
I have to control a CNC machin with a Raspberry PI 2, I have to use Linux, LinuxCNC is not obligatory, but strongly recommanded. The problem is that I'm new to Linux and I don't know how works LinuxCNC. I have installed Linux on my Raspberry with Raspbian NOOBS (www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/noobs/), but I dont know how to install LinuxCNC, I have tried a lot of things, but nothing worked. Can someone explaine me hoe to install LinuxCNC on a Raspberry PI 2.

Thanks in advance.

is this a student project ?
as Arceye has said their are far better ways ,

although a little out of date you can follow this :
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?RaspbianXenomaiBuild
you would be better off with machinekit , and it would be more up to date

More
29 Jan 2016 12:50 #69229 by kamkill
Replied by kamkill on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry
Thank you for your answers. Yes it's a student project, I already have the milling machin with a step motor for each axes (there are 3 axes) and a motor driver for each motor. As you said Machinekit seems to be more suitable, I'll try to use it.

More
29 Jan 2016 13:11 #69230 by jepler
Replied by jepler on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry

Linuxcnc does not run on ARM processors.

LinuxCNC 2.7 and master branches do build and run on armhf systems using uspace realtime (this is continuously tested by our buildbot using an odroid u3 board). However, there are no hardware drivers for any of the popular ARM boards in the main tree, and linuxcnc.org doesn't package realtime kernels for any of the popular ARM boards either.

So the advice that there's no LinuxCNC solution that is ready to go on this hardware today is correct, but writing a hardware driver is a simpler matter than porting all of LinuxCNC, if you have the inclination to do the work.

More
27 Feb 2017 07:25 #88655 by Askjerry
Replied by Askjerry on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry
Is this still the case in 2017... no real support for Raspberry Pi?

I had some folks asking, and was curious myself... still thinking the PC or Beaglebone are better options... but I wanted t verify.

Thanks in advance,
Jerry

More
05 May 2017 10:19 #92688 by viktan
Replied by viktan on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry
I also want to join the question about Raspberry Pi support.
I work on control cards communicating through SPI, which layout is designed for use with Raspberry Pi. One of the boards is designed for stepper motor control and has a hardware FPGA step generator. I think the latest version of Pi has more than enough power to drive any CNC machine.

I'm currently driving our boards using the LinuxCNC system, which has been compiled by the group Machinekit.
Everything around RT tasks and motion control works fine, but there is problem with GPU performance, when I load a bigger nc file, FPS decrease to ~1fps and response of system is too delayed.

Short video:

At the beginning is GUI switched to DRO and response of buttons under mouse is ok, when I switch to preview animation, the response will decrese.

I hope that linuxcnc community will support at least Raspberry Pi and BeagleBone soon. I see the increasing number of attempts to drive some machine by raspberry pi
Some important benefits of RasPi:
  • Powerful CPU and GPU for numerical control and GUI
  • More suitable peripherals for hardware development such as SPI, compared to x86 motherboards where advanced experience is necessary for develop any PCI, PCI-express, Ethernet boards
  • Powerful CPU and GPU for numerical control and GUI
  • The board size allows you to build a compact controller

Regards, Viktor

More
05 May 2017 18:28 #92714 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry
Are you running Raspbian or Debian? Apparently the armhf version of Debian runs much better on the Pi2 and Pi3, but nt at all on the Pi1.

sourceforge.net/p/emc/mailman/emc-users/...ail.com/#msg35823678

More
06 May 2017 06:25 #92729 by viktan
I use Raspberry Pi 3, I'm running on minibian, sourceforge.net/projects/minibian/
I think I tried the last raspbian and it worked the same way. I'll try again.
I assume the problem is in the OpenGL or OpenGL ES support for that preview animation.

More
06 May 2017 15:18 #92744 by viktan
I tried it with the new Raspbian, it looks better.

The following user(s) said Thank You: MarcoGaspar

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds