Unable to install from .iso or compile from source on Fedora 27

More
14 Mar 2018 02:30 #107326 by rodw
I've picked up recently that yapps used to be included in the source but now its not so it is a dependency that needs to be resolved. It might be called yapps2 so installing that may solve the problem.

Of course my Dr Watson's input may or not be relevant to the case at all!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2018 02:39 #107327 by owlbrudder
Thanks very much for the detailed reply, abu.

Forensic analysis - serial killers - Sherlock Holmes - kill the coroner: I detect a common thread here. "8-)

I am more confused than Sherlock, but much better educated than I was before reading your message.

My halcompile.py is 1421 lines long - which is longer than you expected - and is generated from halcompile.g, I have attached both of those from my setup in a zip file - for forensic examination by the deceased coroner and Sherlock, of course.

I look forward to the next killer episode in the serial. "8-)
Attachments:

More
14 Mar 2018 02:44 #107328 by owlbrudder
Thank you for sticking with me rodw. I had encountered the lack of yapps earlier in the saga and have installed it in order to get this far. In fact there were several dependencies I had to install, so I'm getting through the issues quite well. Now to resolve halcompile I need to bring the coroner back from the dead apparently ... "8-)

More
14 Mar 2018 02:55 #107329 by rodw
The only other thought could be n incompatibility with Python Versions eg 2.7 v 3

Python 3 now includes multibyte strings as standard. My version of LinuxCNC uses 2.7. Using Python 3 could break something.....

More
14 Mar 2018 03:20 #107330 by owlbrudder
Now THAT sounds reasonable! I will investigate further - thank you for the heads up (I would never have thought of ot). I think the coroner may have a pulse, be it ever so faint.

More
14 Mar 2018 03:58 #107331 by owlbrudder
Sadly, we can't blame Python:
[root@womble linuxcnc-dev]# python --version
Python 2.7.14

More
14 Mar 2018 07:43 #107333 by owlbrudder
I can confirm the .iso is not bootable.
1) Burned the .iso to a USB stick; rebooted; system booted from the hard drive.
2) Burned a Fedora bootable image to the same USB stick; rebooted; system booted from the stick.

So far, I can't boot the .iso and I can't build from source. Highly frustrating.

More
14 Mar 2018 08:17 #107334 by rodw
Burnt using windows or unix? Try Windows as suggested earlier if you have not.

More
14 Mar 2018 08:33 #107335 by owlbrudder
Burnt using Linux - my only Windows is an ancient copy of 32-bit XP which I run in a virtual machine. I'll see if that configuration will allow me to burn a USB image, or even a DVD image. Job for tomorrow. Thanks for the idea though.

More
14 Mar 2018 11:15 #107342 by andypugh

I can confirm the .iso is not bootable..

The .iso is bootable, but it can be difficult to impossible to get a machine to boot from a USB stick.

Last time I gave up and bought an external USB DVD drive. It cost me £20 from an actual retail shop on a Sunday. And means that I can keep a library of install DVDs too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: owlbrudder

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds