Trouble connecting Mesa 7i76e with Debian 12 Bookworm

More
06 Jul 2023 17:20 #274905 by Mayberry Customs
I’ve been running Linux Cnc on (i believe) Debian 9 Stretch distro, Mesa 7i76e, Gmoccapy for a few years now. In an attempt to switch to Debian 12 Bookworm so I can use Probe Screen i partitioned my drive and did a fresh install of Debian 12 and probe screen, which all went as expected. I am now having trouble getting a connection to my Mesa card. I believe I may know the root of the issue. In my old setup (which is currently being used in the meantime) I do not believe I switched from the default IP of 192.168.1.121 to 10.10.10.10 . This always worked fine as long as I wasn’t connected to the wireless connection, which I didn’t really need. So I guess the first basic question is, with the new distro is it imperative for functionality to switch the 10.10.10.10 address? I do see the section about setting a static IP in the Debian 12 or higher instructions. I tried this but did not switch the jumper on the board. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2023 17:25 - 06 Jul 2023 17:26 #274906 by PCW
Its generally better to use the 10.10.10.10 address on the Mesa card
as 192.168.1.xx is likely to overlap with addresses used for normal internet and
local network access. If you do make this change, you will need to change
the static IP address of the host interface connected to the card ( to say 10.10.10.100)

(This advice applies to all distributions)
Last edit: 06 Jul 2023 17:26 by PCW.

More
06 Jul 2023 22:02 #274913 by Mayberry Customs
Appreciate that…also I have noticed that my old setup has the firmware folder with the various Mesa boards but the new install does not…also I tried to get hostmot2 from the synaptic package manager in Debian 12 with the search results giving me nothing…if I go back to the original install and search hostmot2 it returns several items and shows I have them installed…is any of this relevant to the Debian 12 and or am I missing something?

More
06 Jul 2023 22:31 #274914 by tommylight
In a terminal
uname -a
and also
ip a
what do those return?

More
06 Jul 2023 23:10 #274916 by PCW

Appreciate that…also I have noticed that my old setup has the firmware folder with the various Mesa boards but the new install does not…also I tried to get hostmot2 from the synaptic package manager in Debian 12 with the search results giving me nothing…if I go back to the original install and search hostmot2 it returns several items and shows I have them installed…is any of this relevant to the Debian 12 and or am I missing something?

Unless you have an older Mesa FPGA card like a 5I20, 5I23 or 7I43, you do not need the firmware folder

More
07 Jul 2023 00:07 #274919 by Mayberry Customs
Well I made some progress! I did finally get the board connected and was able to run my original config in axis and Gmoccapy…now I’m stuck on getting probe basic to work. It immediately goes to the error log without starting correctly…I have not bought a 1080p monitor yet as I was just verifying I could get it all installed and working…the probe basic sim works ok with whatever screen resolution I have there is just a couple menus cut off, so I assumed this would be the same with the real thing…i know it’s ultimately necessary to use a 1080p monitor to properly use probe basic but am I required to have a 1080p monitor for the real config to even launch? Thanks, Andy

More
07 Jul 2023 07:26 #274934 by rodw
probe basic is based on qtpyvcp. You need to ask in that section of the forum.
Alternatively, give qt_dragon a try as it's part of Linuxcnc.
You will need to update to the latest Linuxcnc by following these instructions as it's a pretty new GUI so changes happen frequently.
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.9/html/getting-start...an_bookworm_x86_only

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds