LinuxCNC 2.8 or 2.9 on Ubuntu 64bit

More
23 Sep 2023 19:29 #281501 by lkavan
Hallo,
I would like to instal LinuxCNC on Ubuntu 64bit PC In docs, there is a written, LinuxCNC 2.8 can work with Ubuntu 32bit only. But I cannot find if 2.9 can work on 64bit Or not possible?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2023 21:54 #281507 by rodw
Ubuntu is not really open source. They want to charge you for their paid versions to get thier real time kernel although I think you can get  a licence for free for personal use. The RT kernel is a prerequisite for linuxcnc if you want to run a machine.

You could try my Live installer which will let you upgrade to the latest released version of linuxcnc V 2.9 on Debian Bookworm 12.1 that has none of those restrictions
drive.google.com/file/d/1s2Te9JtXxb8yB9r...QWx/view?usp=sharing
The following user(s) said Thank You: tivoi

More
23 Sep 2023 23:26 #281514 by tommylight

Hallo,
I would like to instal LinuxCNC on Ubuntu 64bit PC In docs, there is a written, LinuxCNC 2.8 can work with Ubuntu 32bit only. But I cannot find if 2.9 can work on 64bit Or not possible?

LinuxCNC 2.8 and 2.9 and Master(2.10) all work on 64 bit machines, 2.8 might be the last that also worked for 32 bit but not sure.
-
If you insist on using Ubuntu, install latest 23.04, reboot, and do
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt install linuxcnc-uspace
This will install everything but NOT the RT kernel, use google to search for "kernel 6.3 RT deb debian", download the deb file and install it, reboot.
-
After all this i have to say, use Debian 12.1 as it is officially what we use.
Did i say "we"? Oh yes i did, i already moved all but one machine to Debian 12.1. :)
Ahoj....
The following user(s) said Thank You: tivoi, lkavan

More
24 Sep 2023 02:12 #281526 by rodw

Oh yes i did, i already moved all but one machine to Debian 12.1. :)
Ahoj....

What! I thought you liked Ubuntu! 

Seriously though, Why fight it?  Just go with Debian 12. The change computers are going through is very rapid. While I once preferred mint,  Mint and Ubuntu continue to lag well behind the kernel versions that Debian adopts and that has been a significant issue over the last 24 months. Installing Mate desktop is very nice.

More
24 Sep 2023 07:23 #281537 by lkavan

Seriously though, Why fight it?  Just go with Debian 12. The change computers are going through is very rapid. While I once preferred mint,  Mint and Ubuntu continue to lag well behind the kernel versions that Debian adopts and that has been a significant issue over the last 24 months. Installing Mate desktop is very nice.

Thanx for your answer, an also thanx to tommylight! Well, my machine running on Ubuntu 32bit many years. Long time, not possible to upgrade system etc. so I would like to make new instalation with actual Linux and LinuxCNC version. Of course, I have tested .iso package with Debian, well, that works. But I really don't like that desktop and applications. For example, file manager or text editors are terrible compared to Ubuntu ones. Next step will be to migrate custom LinuxCNC GUI interface, written in C++ with Qt4 and Qt3 support to Qt6. This will be a lot of work, so I would like to be sure I am started on right LinuxCNC instalation, right system etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
24 Sep 2023 17:35 #281550 by tommylight
I liked Ubuntu 10.04, still have machines running with it.
After that, i went Mint.
As of Debian 12, there is no valid reason to use anything else, it works, it is up to date with drivers and stuff, and has Mate desktop.
And, NO, i do not like Mate because it looks like windows, i like it as it is easy to modify to my needs. Looking at you, Snowwy! :)
BTW, where is Snowwy?
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
24 Sep 2023 18:20 #281558 by lkavan
Well, there was installed Debian 10 with LinuxCNC iso image with some ugly desktop. I have installed MATE desktop and it looks much better, nautilus and gedit work with it. Then I can live with Debian, I hope. I think, I will start again from scratch with Debian 12. Which LinuxCNC I should use? 2.8, 2.9 or 2.10? I need to make some changes in sources and then compile it...

More
24 Sep 2023 20:12 #281560 by rodw
I definitely would not be building 2.8.
I would probably use 2.10 master branch. I used it for years on my plasma table as a run in place build
The following user(s) said Thank You: lkavan

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds