LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

More
04 Oct 2023 08:56 #282257 by cornholio
Congrats on all your hard work Rod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2023 09:25 #282259 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

Congrats on all your hard work Rod.

Thanks,

Actually just had a thought, if there was any Pi ethercat users here, maybe they could fork my ethercat driver and build the deb on a pi
github.com/rodw-au/linuxcnc-ethercat

If you could share the deb with me, I might be able to put it up on packagecloud.io and I could add the ethercat  repos to the build like I have done with the AMD64 installer.

More
30 Oct 2023 05:03 - 30 Oct 2023 05:08 #284099 by richienz
Replied by richienz on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5
Hi Team, thanks to all who do the great work on this, especially Rodw and Cornholio in this instance, I'm a watcher but not regular contributor. Been using MACH3 for a many years on a 3 axis router at home and just completed a 15 month contract running vertical mills Doosan DNM400/650/700 with Fanuc controllers, so that was super helpful for me to up-skill on machining and cnc control operation. I have ordered a Pi5 and already have an ethernet MESA board so its time now for me to move on from MACH3. As soon as my Pi5 arrives I'll start doing some bench tests. Thanks, really stoked to see a Pi powerful enough and people seem confident in it.  What ever I learn I'll do my best to share in the group. Cheers
, Richard
Last edit: 30 Oct 2023 05:08 by richienz.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
12 Nov 2023 10:30 #285154 by danielfmo
Tried your branch (thanks for the work BTW)

Though the rpi5 does not boot, I'd guess the first boot script needs some magic, but I'm not familiar yet with the project to understand what is not working. 
I have a rpi5 dedicated for a linuxCNC test bench, so I's love to be able to perform some testing if someone has the time to take a look at this. 

Attachments:

More
13 Nov 2023 09:21 #285244 by elovalvo

More
14 Nov 2023 12:07 #285371 by rodw
Are you uing the img from the Linuxcnc downloads page? That is now the best image

More
14 Nov 2023 15:17 #285385 by elovalvo
Replied by elovalvo on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

Are you uing the img from the Linuxcnc downloads page? That is now the best image

The image in linuxcnc.org/iso/linuxcnc-2.9.1-bookworm-rpi4.img.xz does not work with the Raspberry Pi 5

Attachments:

More
14 Nov 2023 18:07 #285403 by rodw
Damn, they said nobody would have one untill after Christmas!
Hopefully its just a matter of changing the board to build for the pi5 when building the image as shown here
github.com/rodw-au/rpi-img-builder-lcnc/...-2.9.1/build-lcnc.sh
It may just need to be set to BCM2712 Ref: www.raspberrypi.com/products/raspberry-pi-5/
I will check in with upstream.

More
15 Nov 2023 00:27 #285444 by cornholio
Mines on its way now......to Asutpost being Austpost it may get here just before the sun goes out.

More
16 Nov 2023 12:08 - 16 Nov 2023 12:11 #285608 by danielfmo
Hi, 

that is what I tried to point out in my previous message: forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...pi-5?start=10#285154

Setting the board to BCM2712 does not work and the RPI5 gets into a "running /scripts/local/block" loop

As an additional note, there's this also written in the PREENPT_RT release page (github.com/kdoren/linux/releases/tag/rpi_6.1.54-rt15)

NOTE: The installation instructions in the wiki work for debian bullseye, and currently require changes for debian bookworm. Bookworm (like Ubuntu) expects the files to be copied into directory 

/boot/firmware/
 instead of 
/boot/

Last edit: 16 Nov 2023 12:11 by danielfmo.

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds