finalize software settings?

More
03 Apr 2024 13:06 #297501 by FlaredFins
I finally believe I have linuxcnc setup, just a few questions regarding driver and motor settings, Is there a way to determine they are running optimally based on all the timing settings. I'm currently testing with some cheapo drivers and motors. I grabbed settings for the Gecko 203v drivers from MESA Config and brought them into PNCconf since the MESA config doesnt have the option for QTplasmac afaik and used those to get the motors spinning.

Also I'm not getting the option to manually joy Y axis as its not lit up or highlighted when machine is enabled in Qtplasmac. also appears I don't have a few other items highlighted as usable.

I chose ohmic probe and Float for torch I noticed there is also an option for Enable for both in the config. are those required?
As well THCad2 is not plugged in but is setup and qtplasmac is showing a -22 volts, is that normal or should it read 0?

Im sure ill have a few more questions as I fish this build out. Im using the 7i96s and running linuxcnc 2.9

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2024 19:26 #297526 by tommylight
Do you have ohmic sensing installed and working?
Does the machine use 2 separate stpper motors, 2 drives and 2 home switches/sensors on Y axis?
Does the machine have a floating head/torch holder with it's own switch/sensor?
Also, never copy stuff at random, usually does not work properly, leave the step/dir timings at default for all drives, test properly, then decide if anything needs changing. Especially not from Gecko drives, some use 500ns, some 4000ns, some older ones 15000ns.
-22V is OK but also might not be, it is ok as when no THCAD is connected it does show negative values, but what exact value depends on scaling and offset and divider set on the board.

More
03 Apr 2024 21:56 #297543 by FlaredFins
no ohmic yet but I have it configured to an input.
Y Axis has seperate motors and drives per side as well as Y+ and Y- Prox per side. the second side I set up as tandem Y motors and drives are not attached yet
There is a input setup for floating head as well
I used the gecko settings before i realized I had my motor leads crossed. should those just be set back to the generic settings?

All of this is sitting on a workbench at the moment while I work through getting it all setup. Im migrating from Mach 4 and cant take the table down until I have a better understanding of what is going on in Linuxcnc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
03 Apr 2024 22:22 #297548 by tommylight

Y Axis has seperate motors and drives per side as well as Y+ and Y- Prox per side. the second side I set up as tandem Y motors and drives are not attached yet

OK, that will not allow jogging before homing the machine to prevent gantry racking.
Yes, return generic values, it will probably save you a lot of trouble if you went with 500ns Gecko timings :)

More
04 Apr 2024 13:27 #297573 by FlaredFins
Ok that make sense, I set the defaults last night for the drivers and didn't see any changes, motor appeared to run the same. Ill look at those timings and see if i notice anything.

My dumb question for the day. I purchased years ago some cheapo proxs, they have worked perfectly fine, but these LJ12A3-4-Z/BX switches which say NO are in my interpretation NC switches. Under MACH4 using the ESS/MB3 board I could switch to Hi or Lo. these switches actually provide 24vdc until material is sensed. the problem is I don't want 24vdc being applied to the board for all my Limits and homing inputs all the time. is there a cheap recommended switch out there that is actually 0v volts than 5-24vdc when material is sensed?

Last Question and this might be related to homing the machine frist but in qtplasmac when i load code I dont get Cycle start to illuminate I can if I ENable the torch and do a torch Pulse.
also MDI, Probe test and Framing are all dulled out. Am I missing something in my config or is all this related to homing?

More
04 Apr 2024 14:47 #297579 by FlaredFins
Disregard the Dumb Question lol I went and read up on Prox again I purchased NPN No switches vs PNP No switches. Had to edumacte meself.

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds