Tool switch below surface

More
10 Jul 2016 20:58 #77265 by Clements
Hi,
Is there a way to set a negative height to the tool switch in gmoccapy?
I mounted a switch below the work surface of my machine.
Only in the settings tab in gmoccapy i cant enter a negative value.

Thanx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jul 2016 22:13 #77269 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Tool switch below surface
I don't see a built-in way. But this is open-source software, you can change the code.

The spinbutton is controlled by an "adjustment" property in the gmoccapy.glade file.
Your file is probably here.
/usr/share/gmoccapy/gmoccapy.glade

This is the area that you might need to change:
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/master...y/gmoccapy.glade#L53

Normally you would edit a Glade file with the glade graphical editor, but actually finding the adjustment in glade is likely to be painful if you have never used it.

You can edit the file with a text editor. You probably have "mousepad" as the default editor, though if this doesn't work you can try gedit.

sudo mousepad /usr/share/gmoccapy/gmoccapy.glade

Save a copy of the original file first, of course.

Then search for "adj_probe_height" and edit that block of xml to have a lower limit, like the block below has.
While you are there, you might as well set the default value to suit your machine too.

Next time you start LinuxCNC you should be able to do negative.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clements

More
11 Jul 2016 20:57 #77314 by Clements
Replied by Clements on topic Tool switch below surface
thanks a lot for your explanation. Its great how you made all steps quite clear.

I still have an odd problem. All seems to run well, but the Z zero is now set to the machine bed, not to the top of the workpiece.
I did enter the block height before probing.
When I enter 0 as block height it sets the G54 Z-value to -145 (travel of Z is from 0 to -145)

I broke a tool so thats too bad.

After that I changed the probe to above my machine bed to see if that worked. I forgot to edit the INI file- probe positions.
Bugger, broke a part of my z-axis. :angry:

I will call it a day for now, tomorow repair my mill and I will see from there than

More
11 Jul 2016 21:49 #77317 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Tool switch below surface
Sorry to hear of your problems.
Maybe it would be useful to use a piece of pencil or something else disposable and weak as a dummy tool while experimenting?

More
11 Jul 2016 22:14 #77318 by newbynobi
Replied by newbynobi on topic Tool switch below surface
Hallo Clement,

I do test such stuff with a piece of Styropor, hope in Englisch the Material is called so also. And have one Hand on the estop switch!!

I will check the code for possible errors with negativ values. Could you please mention what values you enter and give a step by step instruction to reproduce your problem?

Norbert

More
12 Jul 2016 19:27 #77355 by Clements
Thanks for the support. I am currently busy repairing my machine. Hopefully it Will be up and running this evening. I'll try to reproduce the error when done.

I think air is the best material to try next time. B)

More
13 Jul 2016 20:24 #77414 by Clements
well I repaired my z-axis, all seems to be fine for now. B)

I have been playing around a lot with the different offsets etc.
The workpiece is placed in the G56 location.
In the header of my ngc file no location was specified.

The steps I took when it went wrong:
Start Linuxcnc (G54)
Set block height to 12mm. (now I know this is applied as an offset to G54)
MDI -> G56

press run. (it runs at a different Z offset all together)

Both errors I had, where on my side. :unsure:

I did notice 2 other behaviors I cant quite understand.
1) if I have a ngc file with two different offsets eg G54 & G56, the offset of the block height is only applied to the one which is currently active. Looking in the direction of the Y-axis in the preview window, it is clear the Z-height changes when going to the other fixture.

2) I was running a program at Z= -3. When I press the big red button "Stop the running Program" the Z-value immediately changes to Z=9.
In the offsets table the tool offset for Z is zero. Before running the program the tool offset was 12.
Attachments:

More
14 Jul 2016 15:03 #77441 by newbynobi
Replied by newbynobi on topic Tool switch below surface

1) if I have a ngc file with two different offsets eg G54 & G56, the offset of the block height is only applied to the one which is currently active. Looking in the direction of the Y-axis in the preview window, it is clear the Z-height changes when going to the other fixture.

Do you think it is better to set the Blockhight to all fixtures? It would be possible to apply the blockhight each time the Coordinate system changes. But that could have side effects too.

I was running a program at Z= -3. When I press the big red button "Stop the running Program" the Z-value immediately changes to Z=9.
In the offsets table the tool offset for Z is zero. Before running the program the tool offset was 12.

Very strange, as you do not use any G43 in your code. I will check on this with your sample and also check if integrate enter negative values makes sense..

Norbert

More
17 Jul 2016 06:57 - 17 Jul 2016 06:57 #77564 by Clements
It could be conveniant to set the block height in multiple references when milling the same part out of à big sheet
Last edit: 17 Jul 2016 06:57 by Clements.

Moderators: newbynobiHansU
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds