PathPilot Manual tool change odd behaviour

More
01 Jul 2023 05:31 #274555 by rafferty
I've been running PathPilot with manual tool changes for awhile. I program

G37.1
M06 T5 G37 G43 H5

along with a bit of motor and coolant control and it works.

However I decided to it was time clean out the the tool table, delete everything for a fresh start, this includes setting all entries to 0.0.

I loaded a tool change test program and hit cycle start and was presented with the following  status messages (read up from the bottom)

17:50:08 | Cycle Start will no longer warn about tooling parameters for this g-code file.
17:50:08 | Program uses tool 1 which has a length of 0.  Please confirm tool table accuracy.
17:50:08 | Program uses tool 2 which has a length of 0.  Please confirm tool table accuracy.
17:50:08 | Program uses tool 3 which has a length of 0.  Please confirm tool table accuracy.
17:50:00 | Loaded program Tool_Change_Test.ncc

This seems bit odd as the tools will be measured with the previously mentioned code lines.

Put random lengths in the tool table, the tools get measured on the tool changes, correct values replace the random values and all is well.

I can see where this checking is occurring in the python UI code.

Is this the usual way of handling zero length tools? Any Comments?

Ken.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2023 09:34 #274568 by andypugh
Interesting.
I don't use Gmoccapy, but I do often use zero-length tools.

I assume that this is just a warning, and doesn't affect usability?

More
03 Jul 2023 04:46 - 03 Jul 2023 04:50 #274676 by rafferty
The message "no longer warn about tooling parameters" looked pretty terminal so I didn't go any further yesterday but today I did.

As it turns out the shock message means nothing. As tool changes are encounted, they are measured, lengths are put in the tool table and the values used. Alarming as it is (to me at least) can be ignored if manual tool changes are properly programmed.

Processing proceeds as normal.

After a little further checking the message is only presented once per file load. 
Last edit: 03 Jul 2023 04:50 by rafferty. Reason: Additional info added.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds