KERT mill and Hardinge lathe retrofitted with LinuxCNC

More
09 Dec 2023 00:42 #287602 by tommylight
>>> NOT MY STUFF <<<
Found this on the tube, Curt has 2 machines running LinuxCNC with GmocaPy interface making Titanium pens, beautiful ones at that, so go show him some love by liking and subbing.
He also explains in great detail how he does everything, daily, in short 6-8 minute videos.
www.youtube.com/@CurtVanFilipowski/videos
The following user(s) said Thank You: spumco

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2023 22:01 #287983 by spumco
I really like his Not-A-Kern mill.

We need to get him set up with a proper bar feeder so that Hardinge can really shine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
12 Dec 2023 22:07 #287984 by tommylight
Ideas?
In January my little bro might visit here so i can arrange for something small to send him.

More
13 Dec 2023 01:32 #287994 by spumco
I was mostly kidding.

He's got that oddball Hardinge pneumatic/hydraulic system that uses a rotary union to pressurise a follower plug inside the drawtube.  It works, but it's a silly mess and limits you to bars shorter than the spindle.  And also makes it a pain to reload.

He doesn't appear to have room for a 3m/12-foot feeder, although there are a number of them close to me dirt cheap.

What he needs is a short-length magazine feeder.  Failing that, a pneumatic 36" muzzle-loader like on the Haas CL-1 would be better than nothing.  That'd be pretty easy to DIY.

I've got a Hardinge Vari-grip collet closer laying around I could let go cheap, but he'd still need to fabricate the tube, mount, and so forth himself, including an oil trap at the outboard end of the spindle.

More
13 Dec 2023 01:37 #287995 by spumco
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds