Servo Tuning FF

More
12 Jul 2012 15:48 #21834 by jmelson
Replied by jmelson on topic Re:Servo Tuning PID and FFn
LAIR82 wrote:

After reading these posts about servo tuning, I feel pretty good about tuning both servos on my turning center, but before I try that I want to make sure that I am at least close on my values in my "ini" file for my axis, before i throw power to the servos and have a major crash.

What I would do is set P to a low value, and ID and FFx all to zero, as you have done.
You will almost certainly have to increase MIN_FERROR, maybe to 0.1, assuming
inch units. make sure the encoder/resolver picks up the movement correctly
before enabling the servo. Then, attempt to jog. If it jumps and gets a following error,
you can reverse the motor leads, or the polarity of OUTPUT_SCALE. You may have
to increase P to get it to move at all, it depends on the system. Then you have to
get into tuning with Halscope and the calibration menu.

Jon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2012 13:40 #21876 by LAIR82
Replied by LAIR82 on topic Re:Servo Tuning PID and FFn
Everthing looks good now in regards to the readout/actual values on the display, we had it reading backwards and we were off about 0.100" per inch of travel on the display. I have encountered another problem though, I am not getting any command voltage out of my 7I49 pwmgen output. The enable is working properly on all 6 circuits on the card, and I am getting the proper command out of pwmgen.00 but nothing out of 01-05. I have the spindle on 00, Z on 02, and the X on 04. We did it this way because when we had X on 01 next the spindle we were getting noise between the two on the display.

I have read the thread "Mesa 7i49 Board configuration" from 4 months ago twice to try to remedy but cannot get this figured out. His situation is pretty identical to mine. I have gone through my hal file over and over again with a fine tooth comb and cannot find anything. Talking with my boss he was wondering if maybe the firmware is the problem.\

Thanks

Rick

More
13 Jul 2012 13:54 #21877 by andypugh
LAIR82 wrote:

I have gone through my hal file over and over again with a fine tooth comb and cannot find anything. Talking with my boss he was wondering if maybe the firmware is the problem.k

Can you post your HAL file here?

More
13 Jul 2012 13:58 #21879 by LAIR82
I posted my hal and ini.

Thanks

Rick

File Attachment:

File Name: rick.txt
File Size:17 KB
Attachments:

More
13 Jul 2012 13:59 #21880 by LAIR82
Heres my ini

File Attachment:

File Name: cinlathe.txt
File Size:3 KB
Attachments:

More
13 Jul 2012 14:27 #21881 by andypugh
I haven't spotted anything wrong in the HAL files.
I would be tempted to look at the pwmgen value pins in Halmeter (or the watch tab of Halconfig) to see if the signal is getting there.
Also have a look at the thread periods to make sure that the threads are running.
If the pwmgen values are non-zero and the enables are set, then it must be a problem outside HAL, I think.

I would suspect the /ENA pins, except that you have one working channel.

More
13 Jul 2012 14:32 #21882 by LAIR82
I can see the value going up and down on the +/- 10v on the pwmgen.02.value pin in the "show hal config" watch screen.

Im not sure what you mean though by thread periods?

Rick

More
13 Jul 2012 14:45 #21883 by andypugh
LAIR82 wrote:

I can see the value going up and down on the +/- 10v on the pwmgen.02.value pin in the "show hal config" watch screen.

And you definitely have the hardware hooked up to analogue outputs 2 and 4 ?

Im not sure what you mean though by thread periods?

Halconfig also lets you see the execution time of the realtime modules and the thread periods. A number that doesn't change can indicate a crashed function.

Resolver support in LinuxCNC is fairly new. It might be worth loading the HAL with num_resolvers=0 to eliminate the possibility of a resolver driver bug. Just be aware that this means no feedback...

More
13 Jul 2012 15:01 #21885 by LAIR82
Right now I actually have my meter hooked to the aout2 and gnd2 terminals on the 7I49 with my meter hanging next my screen and keyboard, so I can see exactly whats going on.

More
13 Jul 2012 15:10 #21887 by andypugh
LAIR82 wrote:

Right now I actually have my meter hooked to the aout2 and gnd2 terminals on the 7I49 with my meter hanging next my screen and keyboard, so I can see exactly whats going on.

I would test your config here, but with no 7i49 and no 7i70 it wouldn't be very conclusive. Maybe PCW can try it out?

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds