Lathe turret tool changer with absolute encoder

More
15 Oct 2023 13:39 #283071 by andypugh

I did the fix you sent me to but that was for the gray code section and the binary section has some different code.

The same fix is probably applicable in binary mode, if you want to modify carousel.comp.

So when it looks for tool 8 all it sees is 0-7 , and just spins until you close linuxcnc

Or you can fix it in HAL. a 3-way "NOR" function on the other three pins can be used to drive the 4th input pin of carousel.
loadrt logic personality=0x1003
addf logic.0 servo thread
net bit1 {bit 1 input here} carousel.0.sense-0 logic.0.in-00
net bit2 {bit 2 input here} carousel.0.sense-1 logic.0.in-01
net bit3 {bit 3 input here} carousel.0.sense-2 logic.0.in-02
net bit4 logic.0.nor =>     carousel.0.sense-4
The following user(s) said Thank You: Trav328

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Oct 2023 10:32 #283115 by Trav328
Thanks Andy , I'm back on shift for a bit but I will dig back into this the next free weekend in the garage , I just left it in index mode for the time being so I can work on the rest. 

I checked the wiring a few times and performed a encoder calibration from the factory manual, I did the modification in carousel.comp and reinstalled.

I will give the hal fix a go next.

The next thing to work on is the m6 remap you mentioned in your first reply so it gives the g43 with m6 , I seen mention of an example in the fanucy Sim.

The other thing is sometimes if i call say m6t8 it just switches to t8 in gmoccapy but the tool changer doesent move , sometimes it does , could this be related to having carousel in the prepare loop rather than the change loop ? 

If I manually jog the tool changer it always accurately reports the tool number in carousel.0.current-position.

More
16 Oct 2023 10:41 #283116 by andypugh

The next thing to work on is the m6 remap you mentioned in your first reply so it gives the g43 with m6 , I seen mention of an example in the fanucy Sim.

That should be fairly simple, the most basic version just needs to map Tnn to M6 Tnn G43.
It gets a lttle more xomplicated uf you want to add wear limits.

If I manually jog the tool changer it always accurately reports the tool number in carousel.0.current-position.

Including position 8?

More
16 Oct 2023 10:53 - 16 Oct 2023 10:53 #283117 by Trav328
Using index mode with my extra prox sensor it reports tool 1-8

Using the encoder it still reports tool 0-7
Last edit: 16 Oct 2023 10:53 by Trav328.

More
16 Oct 2023 11:26 #283120 by andypugh

Using index mode with my extra prox sensor it reports tool 1-8
Using the encoder it still reports tool 0-7

Which doesn't explain why sometimes M6T8 does nothing. Is that specifically with T8, or was that just an example? 

More
16 Oct 2023 11:37 #283121 by Trav328
Just an example , when I get home this evening I will run out to the garage and grab a short video that might explain it better than me trying to type it out.

The carousel part itself seems to work well using index , the carousel.0.current-position is always accurate in index mode. I have physical tool fwd/rev buttons and can cycle it through tools no prob.

And when it does work through mdi it works perfect. (Indexing to the correct tool) 

It just seems to be something not quite right between gmoccapy and carousel.

More
16 Oct 2023 22:37 - 16 Oct 2023 22:40 #283142 by Trav328
Here is a quick video that demonstrates my issue,  hopefully something simple I missed.

Also some pics of my current tool changer in hal

youtube.com/watch?si=e2___Kt5mBWzWcxB&v=...mNo&feature=youtu.be

Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Oct 2023 22:40 by Trav328.

More
18 Oct 2023 16:34 #283243 by Trav328
i managed to get it selecting all tools last night , the problem was in my tool changer section , this is what wound up working if anyone else has a problem.

net tool-change iocontrol.0.tool-change => carousel.0.enable
net tool-changed iocontrol.0.tool-changed <= carousel.0.ready
net tool-number iocontrol.0.tool-prep-number => carousel.0.pocket-number
net tool-prepare-loopback iocontrol.0.tool-prepare => iocontrol.0.tool-preparedm6 remap

next onto the m6 remap and electronic "range" selection, i do plan on continuing to try and get that encoder working and i will update this when i do.

Time to create page: 0.408 seconds