disable dangerous keyboard jogging!

More
22 Nov 2023 18:24 #286248 by Lcvette
on startup in 2.9+ i noticed that the number pad defaults to keyboard jogging, this is horribly dangerous and needs to be made a setting somewhere to disable,  i am getting multiple reports now of people crashing machines because they go to enter a number into a entry point only to have the machine move, sometimes they are lucky and it moves away from work or other objects but other time no so much.  this is incredibly dangerous and destructive and should be made a feature users are required to actively enable rather than on by default.  devs please offer an option for this!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Nov 2023 19:19 #286258 by rodw
Default Linux behaviour in my experience is that on startup, the numlock disabled which is what you describe. So its not really a linuxcnc issue.
Windows does the opposite.

you could try 
sudo apt install numlockx
and set 
numlockx on 
in the users .profile file which should set the desired state on startup.

More
22 Nov 2023 19:28 #286261 by tommylight
Enable NumLock on the numpad.
The main issue is NumLock is not active after installing Linux, it has to be activated after installation, after that it remains ON until manually disabled.
Also some motherboards have a setting in BIOS that enables NumLock to be on all the time.
I used that "feature" to use small numeric keyboards as MPG, disable numlock=jog and homing active.
Can you do a quick test and see if that works, please?
Thank you and my regards to TurBoos and KCJ ... LJC ... ??? :)
P.S.
Look at the num pad, there are arrows there on 2,4,6,8 and home and pgup/pgdn, so those small keyboards are really nice as MPG for anything 3 axis.

More
22 Nov 2023 20:03 #286266 by spumco
Rod & Tommy,

In addition to the number pad issue Lcvette raised, I would like to disable all keyboard jogging.  No arrow keys, number pad keys, nothing.

Even better, disable all keyboard LCNC functions.  No estop, machine-on/off, MDI enter-key, etc.  Keyboard would only be used for data entry (gcode editor, filling fields, etc.)

This would also solve Lcvette's concern without resorting to a separate program to hack the numlock status.  And I suspect would go a long way toward achieving an 'industrial' configuration of LCNC that I and some others have been jabbering about recently.

Do either of you have thoughts on how this can be accomplished?

Thx,
R
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
22 Nov 2023 21:02 #286270 by tommylight

Even better, disable all keyboard LCNC functions.  No estop, machine-on/off, MDI enter-key, etc.  Keyboard would only be used for data entry (gcode editor, filling fields, etc.)

That is hard to do on equipment that was designed with keyboard input as the only means, the PC, that is.
Still, see below.

This would also solve Lcvette's concern without resorting to a separate program to hack the numlock status.

No need for any program, Linux remembers the first time it is activated and never ever de-activates it unless user disables it.
-
The easiest solution would be to use "mechanical" keyboards, those come in all flavors and can be tailor made to whatever needs and can be programmed accordingly. Pretty hefty price, though.
Cheaper solution but more involved is using arduino nano/uno/any with any type of small keyboards as arduino can be programmed as a HID ddevice.
And Linux being Linux, there is always a solution for every possible need/want, so this has some info on how to do just that, granted in our case here would need someone actually writing a script that runs on startup, but has both for Xwindow and Wayland:
superuser.com/questions/775785/how-to-di...-key-in-linux-ubuntu
This is a bit more specific to our needs
askubuntu.com/questions/1290401/how-do-i...ard-except-for-three
The following user(s) said Thank You: spumco

More
22 Nov 2023 21:15 #286272 by spumco
Thanks Tommy.

I feel like this is more of a LCNC thing, than a Linux thing.  I don't want any keys disabled... just not connected to LCNC motion or setting functions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
22 Nov 2023 21:26 #286273 by tightmopedman9
I don't have a num pad on my keyboard, but I can still get unwanted machine jogging if I use the arrow keys, depending on which part of the window I've currently selected. I didn't have unwanted machine movement using 2.8, so what changed in 2.9 and how can it be disabled?

More
22 Nov 2023 21:30 #286274 by tommylight
Ok, what if you run that script to disable keys when starting LinuxCNC and running the other script to enable the keys when LinuxCNC exits?
That should also be easy to do, if no other program is used while LinuxCNC is running, so editing a gcode in a text editor will not work. :(

More
23 Nov 2023 04:14 #286295 by tightmopedman9
Unfortunately my skill as a machinist means frequent editing of g-code. Turning the machine off to prevent jogging when using the keyboard is a much preferable solution to having no keyboard at all.

More
23 Nov 2023 05:13 #286297 by rodw
Seems people have forgotten that how keys are used is part of the GUI. If you don't want the keyboard jogging enabled, use another GUI. 

I think you guys would be right at home with QTdragon as it is touch screen only jogging. Which does annoy me a little bit becasue  the controls are a bit hard to use on my small 15.6 inch monitor. so use of keyboards would be handy.

And I have yet to see people saying they tried my suggestion. It does work!

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds